The MX Track - How was your day today?

By chance are you bleeding your forks after every moto?
I haven't. Will do from now on.
I had a new MX33 120 waiting for the KX, but while I was patching the tube in the YZ, I decided hell yeah, thats going on. Also took out the 48 tooth and put in a 49. We'll see how she feels on Saturday.

I haven't. Will do from now on.
I had a new MX33 120 waiting for the KX, but while I was patching the tube in the YZ, I decided hell yeah, thats going on. Also took out the 48 tooth and put in a 49. We'll see how she feels on Saturday.

Make sure you have a really good cut screwdriver or replace the screws with the Ride Engineering fork bleeders.

Make sure you have a really good cut screwdriver or replace the screws with the Ride Engineering fork bleeders.
That was why I didn't bleed them. I wasn't sure what the other flathead screw was about, but I've seen the bleeders elsewhere (I think on my 99).
Adding to my cart Sir, thank you!
Also, turned the rebound out another 7 clicks each to the bottom (did 4 out last weekend), just to see where I was at. Turned them back to 10 in from bottom.

That was why I didn't bleed them. I wasn't sure what the other flathead screw was about, but I've seen the bleeders elsewhere (I think on my 99).
Adding to my cart Sir, thank you!
Also, turned the rebound out another 7 clicks each to the bottom (did 4 out last weekend), just to see where I was at. Turned them back to 10 in from bottom.

Is that a 20 click unit?

Not sure, I didn't go the other way. I'll let you know in the next couple days.

It should tell you in the manual. If you are more than 3/4 out from your settings it’s time to have them revalved and resprung. Watch how wide of a tire you put on your bike as well. Too wide will cause the tires to climb out of ruts or cross rut in jumps. Too narrow and it will plow or skate.

100mph to the track...

Good day today despite the 20mph cross-wind. Put the compression clickers back where they were last weekend. Didn't touch the rebound. New rear tire did it too. Bike feels awesome and rear-end planted.
Made some progress to be sure. Cornering was twice as good as last weekend. I think I have a tendency to stay further back on the seat, so I made an effort to get farther up on the tank, and it seems to have helped. Maybe cuz of the 99 and its dipped-downward seat?

Still couldn't catch the kid though. Damn he's getting good! Not sure where he learned to corner like he does? Probably has some natural talent. Maybe he'll give me some lessons :prof:.
And he overcame his fear of this step-up that he crashed his CR80 on about 2 years ago, and hit it full-on on the first lap today, which bolsters his confidence in all the other jumps. Now he's just faster all-around. It used to be that I could catch him in the jumps. Not anymore.

55mph all the way home.

I'm nicely beat-up and exhausted now, my favorite way to get exercise :thumb:. Bikes are hosed off and ready for next time, possibly tomorrow.

100mph to the track...

Good day today despite the 20mph cross-wind. Put the compression clickers back where they were last weekend. Didn't touch the rebound. New rear tire did it too. Bike feels awesome and rear-end planted.
Made some progress to be sure. Cornering was twice as good as last weekend. I think I have a tendency to stay further back on the seat, so I made an effort to get farther up on the tank, and it seems to have helped. Maybe cuz of the 99 and its dipped-downward seat?

Still couldn't catch the kid though. Damn he's getting good! Not sure where he learned to corner like he does? Probably has some natural talent. Maybe he'll give me some lessons :prof:.
And he overcame his fear of this step-up that he crashed his CR80 on about 2 years ago, and hit it full-on on the first lap today, which bolsters his confidence in all the other jumps. Now he's just faster all-around. It used to be that I could catch him in the jumps. Not anymore.

55mph all the way home.

I'm nicely beat-up and exhausted now, my favorite way to get exercise :thumb:. Bikes are hosed off and ready for next time, possibly tomorrow.

https://gsmxs.com/2-common-motocross-cornering-mistakes/

Yesterday was my best day yet at the track. Corners we're coming along nicely, jumps were higher and farther than ever before.

Today started out great. Lots of water over night, fresh mud, track was watered and stayed wet. Lots of awesome riders, making huge ruts.

Then came the 90 right hander into a small step-up that I've been working on for years. Got in the rut, squared up, and I thought "this is it, I'm gonna get on top", then hit the bump (that I didn't see) right when the soft stuff ended and the dry stuff started...was on the pipe when the back end hit the bump, unloaded the suspension, back-end came around, front end stuck and knifed...I went over the bars, flew about 10 feet, then tumbled about 8 feet down the side of the step-up. I left the bike and thought "oh here it comes, I wonder how this is gonna turn out"...luckily I stood up and am not injured. Wasn't a high-speed crash, but I was on it in 3rd. Damn this shit happens fast!

Good news is bike is good! Got 15 hours on her now.

Prolly gonna need another trip to the chiropractor though.

Good times :)

Last edited:
It always amazes me how many thoughts can flash through your mind in a fraction of a second. One moment I thought I had it, a split-second later I'm thinking about broken bones, helicopter rides, missing work, losing my house...and then I'm standing up wondering WTF just happened. Time is a goofy thing.

It always amazes me how many thoughts can flash through your mind in a fraction of a second. One moment I thought I had it, a split-second later I'm thinking about broken bones, helicopter rides, missing work, losing my house...and then I'm standing up wondering WTF just happened. Time is a goofy thing.

Learning to drag your brake while accelerating is one of those skills you acquire when practicing corners. That’s why you hopped when you hit the acceleration bump.

Good day at the track Saturday. Corners are coming along nicely and I feel like I improved. Wasn't dragging the brake while accelerating though. But my first time around that corner & jump where I came off last weekend was...well, lets just say that now that I've picked up some speed, I was very cautious, lol.
Thinking about going to Pala on the 25th...