The MX Track - How was your day today?

Yep, and a point well taken Mike. Pain is a wonderful instructor, but it got over-looked.
The bars felt fine for the first hour and a half of riding, but I got used to her after that and started getting pretty aggressive. She does everything so much better, cornering, jumping, power, it was a natural progression!
It wont happen again I assure you.

Well the torque wrench is so you tighten them without pulling the aluminum threads with the steel bolt. It happens quite often with handlebar mounts and triple clamps

My day at the mx track was a straight up beating. No prep dried up bomb range of braking bumps and concrete ruts. I took the Honda for what will probably be the last time before I get the suspension done. The guy I bought if from was a goober, but the guy HE bought it from must have been a fast mofo to spread that much bread around the motor, and sprung for supercross. I’ve just been dealing with it but after today that’s it. Like riding a rocket powered sawhorse.

My day at the mx track was a straight up beating. No prep dried up bomb range of braking bumps and concrete ruts. I took the Honda for what will probably be the last time before I get the suspension done. The guy I bought if from was a goober, but the guy HE bought it from must have been a fast mofo to spread that much bread around the motor, and sprung for supercross. I’ve just been dealing with it but after today that’s it. Like riding a rocket powered sawhorse.

Ride faster.

Part of the reason I have left it is, on a groomed track when I’m riding well it’s only a little stiff but even on good days I’m not fast enough to need it. I dont skip through the whoops I skip the whoops.

Whoops can be intimidating,but when I got them figured out, they became the funniest section of the track, however I don’t ride track much anymore, and the pussies out there haven’t had a whoops section in years.

I haven’t ripped a good whoop section in over 10years and I haven’t seen a really really good whoop section in 20 except for when I watch SX

You guys are making me think I ordered too heavy front springs and shouldn't install them.
I skip the whoops too...for now.

I've been doing this for over 40 yrs.... send out the suspension. Don't hesitate, just do it and you'll never regret it... RG3, ENZO or my favorite Factory Connection. end of story..

Even tho I went with what the FC told me to put in, when I dropped them off at Enzo for a re-valve, and spring, Will called me and said I went too stiff, so I had him put in correct ones, and sent the stiffy back in the hole.

I have about 5% knowledge/experience of MX bike suspension, I'm very weak here.

Went to the track today and after about 2 hours I felt that the forks we're kinda hard/stiff, so I asked another local rider about my set-up. He came over and agreed that my front-end seemed pretty stiff, and recommended that I put everything in the middle.
So we counted the compression clicks on the forks and they were about 15 clicks back, and we set them to 12. Didn't touch the rebound.
Then I checked the rear top screw which I wasn't really complaining about, (with the new 5.4 spring I just installed), and it was 23 clicks back. So I put it at 12. Dude mentioned the high-speed thing but I have no idea what that is so I didn't touch it either.
I kinda figured in the back of my head that I shouldn't have adjusted both at the same time, but I did, and the bike felt softer up front, but squirrely in the back.

I wasn't really feeling it today so I packed it up and left early before I got hurt.

Gonna put the new bars and grips on now and wait for y'alls response.

Also - while I respect the opinions and advice to have the suspension sent out, thats really not in my budget right now, and I'm just a weekend warrior. I'm gonna have to do this the hard way, and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way.

Last edited:
Wow! What a difference a day makes.
Got to the track today and had a kid with a newer YZ250 (and was killing it) ride my bike. He said it was pretty good, recommended to back off the rebound on the shock a couple clicks, maybe back off one click on the fork comp.
My buddy Chas was there and he and I went to work.
Reset the sag, adjusted the front and rear, test rode, redialed...a new bike for sure.
Rear end plants now, front end stays in ruts.
Got home, rinsed her off, lubed the chain and threw her back into the truck.
The only thing to do now is wait until next weekend.
Love this 06 YZ250.
Thanks for the find @PALMER84ONE !

Last edited: