New to me truck

Can we just re-cap here for a sec?
dsc00371-jpg.14012

good work :thumb:

Awwwwww, spanks

ok new hei dizzy, summit e coil, plugs, and wires. Newley rebuilt holley 1850-3. New kickdown. choke, and throttle cable. it runs like poop under 1/2 throttle but revs up nice. tried screwing with the dizzy timing and didn't seem to help, idea's?

Have a timing light?
What's the timing set at?
Idle mixture screw settings?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

from my understanding a timing light is useless without it idleing. We originally had it set within a few degrees of zero, then we advanced it some and it did not seem to change it at all. And i know jack shit about auto carbs, school me if you please :)

SRAD97750

Staff member
Timing should be around 8 to 13 degrees for a V8 at 800 rpm. Any less and it won't idle.
Screws should be around 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out.
Is the choke open or closed?
Float set right?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

1. how do i check timing if it wont idle?
2. Ok i'll have to try that
3. Open, but it keeps closeing a tad on its own, it migh be from vaccum as it almost seems like its supposed to do that
4. No clue

ok so did some research today and learned how to set the floats, so i did that. Took the bowls off and everything looked super clean but i sprayed it out with carb cleaner anyways, even took the jets out and gave them a hose down. Put it all back together, set the adjusters 1.5 turns out and still runs the same. So then i had a friend turn the dizzy with it running and i couldent tell a noticeable difference anywhere. I also checked fireing order for the 1000000000 time, all was good. The only thing i can even think to do now is spray something around every intake surface to check for leaks and pull the plugs and see what they say

Darrne, You have a lazer temp gun?

See if you can get some kind of reading off the exhaust manifold.... Around each cylinder.... Or even one side of the engine