New to me truck

Darrne, You have a lazer temp gun?

See if you can get some kind of reading off the exhaust manifold.... Around each cylinder.... Or even one side of the engine

i should be able to see if one is dead by looking at the plugs though right? and i also pulled the dr.side cover and looked for sticky valves already

If you think you have a dead cylinder pull each plug wire one at a time while its running. If you find one that engine doesn't change idle or tone of the motor then there is your dead plug. That is the old school way to tell without all the fancy tools.

SRAD97750

Staff member
If you think you have a dead cylinder pull each plug wire one at a time while its running. If you find one that engine doesn't change idle or tone of the motor then there is your dead plug. That is the old school way to tell without all the fancy tools.

Excellent method! :clap:
Don't use a bare hand. I've gotten zapped pretty hard fiddling with plug wires on a running engine. -BIG DAN:thumb:

To prevent a shock you can run a ground wire so if the spark makes it to the pliers, it goes through the wire instead of you arm.

On fuel injected vehicles where there is access you can pull the wire from the fuel injector instead. No shocks that way.

I've been bit really hard by the engine spark.

so i pulled the plugs just now, dosent look like this engine has it in it. All the plugs probably have 10 minutes run time total on them and they all look like this:
WP_20130810_011.jpg

I tried a comp gauge too but i think its broke, have to go buy one to find out for sure i guess

so i pulled the plugs just now, dosent look like this engine has it in it. All the plugs probably have 10 minutes run time total on them and they all look like this:
View attachment 17288

I tried a comp gauge too but i think its broke, have to go buy one to find out for sure i guess

lean out your pilot jet and change your mixture to 64:1...... Also run Amsoil dominator..... I've got 137 hours on my oem top end using that premix and my plugs look brand new.

well, messed with plug gap, timing again, and the carb settings. Seems like it was running pretty good but the coil or dizzy died soon after and i lost all spark. Im hoping its the summit coil as i've had problems with them before

i also found this :smirk:
1148845_619120671455654_698539821_n.jpg

Here is some peectrures
DSC00644.jpg

DSC00645.jpg
DSC00646.jpg
DSC00647.jpg
DSC00649.jpg
DSC00650.jpg

Now that you've seen a bunch of useless pics, I belive i have put new timing gear on it, so the whole front clip is probably gonna come off because i have to patch up the core support anyways