The DBA TDay Ride Report

just got home... left my chair :cry: :smirk: seems like every desert trip i leave something down there...lol

slept in the cab of my truck and froze all night! bike broke down twice first day and thanks to a couple greats peeps (sorry i'm terrible with names but i think it was dave and timoyz) we got it back together and running right for today :cheers:

i took 3 dirt naps (that i can remember) and they were all on the same hill climb.... once going up, once picking my bike up and again walking it down :bonk: i'm pretty sure there was another crash today too but... yeah i forget stuff quick. Thanks to Travace for the breakfast burrito even though it went through me quick and i had to blow up racks trailer! thanks rack and sorry bout that... :smirk:

i think thats it for me... no pics on my end, good riding and hanging out with y'all and thanks for all the help! :ride:

was such a fun time. big thanks to TWS for letting me use his bike.. even tho that thing beat me the hell up. I dont think ive been this sore since i first started riding and i didnt ride all that much. No matter tho i was glad i came out and got to meet everyone.

thanks so much to the rack family for the hospitality that was super awesome and i owe you all one someday. Also riding lug and racks bike was SWEEEEEET... you guys are cheaters with your recluse clutch's :P

next get together i am gonna try to make it out with the whole family... regardless of if i have a bike or not its still good times just hanging out.

i havent gone through my video yet but i know i didnt get a lot.

I am also glad as hell that lug jr is ok. that was not a good site to come around the corner and see.

Got home last night but too tired to do much of anything other than unpack and winterize the motorhome after a week in the dez. Let's start off by saying it was THE BEST TDAY trip ever. Great to meet James in person, the new peeps: Travace, Hill Climb Dave and son, and all the others whose names I can't remember as well as all of the old peeps. Special thanks also go out to Mr. and Mrs. Rack and family (including Patrick putz--Rack Jr.) and Mr. and Mrs. Lug for feeding me and taking care of me.:thumb::thumb:Glad to see that Lug Jr. was not seriously hurt. Had a lot of very worried after the tussle with Rack, Jr. Have fun paying for Patrick's bike again, Pat.:smirk:

Week started off windy on Sunday. Monday was ok but cold. Tuesday was not only cold but windy. As a matter of fact it snapped my flagpole and put a tear in my motorhome awning topper. I'm thinking gusts 60-70 mph that kept everybody inside. Wed thru Sat warmed each day with morning temps mid teens. Can't believe people slept in their tents and trucks. Tough for sure.

Just a great, great week, with one exception. I pussed on the geek slide again.:cry::rolleyes:

Had a great time. Sure happy Lug Jr. didn't get busted up. At our age (parents) a crash like that would have broke something. Heal quick LJ. As for pictures, I might have a couple and will post as soon as I can. Today is catch up with mom day." :devil: " No it's not what you think, I have to take her shopping. :smirk: Good to meet all the peep's I have never met, (but talk to on line) and the others that I had met before. I think the sand hills were the fun factor of the trip. Dave and Son can sure put on a show of skills, I wish I could do that! :thumb: Thanks for leading the pack Dave, great ride. Beat me up just putting around riding sweep. Thanks for taking my kid on that last ride of the day rack, he was talking the whole way home of the fun, rocks, and all. Did you get any dirt naps of him? :thinking: Well I will look forward to the next time we get together, video and photos of this trip.
:ride:
Gary
Thomas, Joseph, (sons)
Kory the YZ125kid

Good to put some faces to the screen names!
I rode some new places annd saw some beautiful country, definitely more exploring to be done out there.
Rack, thanks for the tour and showing us the infamous slide.
Gary's son handled that 230 pretty good!
James, hope they didn't scare you off the desert:thumb: and you'll come back when the weather is a little more hospitable:banana:

This years T-Day trip was one that I will never forget. No matter how hard I try. The weather wasn't the best for tent camping. With the high winds and below freezing temps, I was not a happy camper. A huge thanks to Weathergeek for letting Tim and I spend the night in his motorhome during the worst of the wind. Also, thanks to the Rack and Weathergeek families for sharing their T-Day feast with my bro and I. Good food, and alot of it. I wish I could've eaten more.
Even though the weather wasn't good, I did get a couple of good rides in. Until my bike broke, that is:cry:. Half way thru my third day I needed a truck to get me back to camp. After getting home and taking the bike apart, the problem was found. A thrust bearing and the rod bearing came apart. That means splitting the cases and probably 600-700 dollars in parts and alot of nights in the garage.
I'm also disappointed that I didn't get to ride with James. From what I hear, he wasn't given an easy introduction to desert riding.
It sounds like most everbody had fun and that's all that matters. I can't wait for next year. :ride:

Heh, yup those desert gnomes get you every time.

Ocotillo was bitchin. It got cold, right at freezing probably. I didn't bring my bike or gear because of the collarboneand I regretted that before we left town. Sho nuff, even though it is still sore I was legit to ride. Rode my nephews bikes. Riding was fantastic, as always, weather was perfect. We deep fried a turkey and TWS smoked one. And then he smoked a turkey.

Thank you for great weekend. Great rides with the members. Pat, thanks for the tour of the geek slide. Though I fail to see the slide. Great trails. And dont worry, my son and I didnt see you on the ground on that last climb.
Bruce, was good to meet you, tell you're boy Bryce, thanks for the ride. He's a great rider. My boy enjoyed the ride with him also. James, thanks for the website. Great group of guys.
Todd, hope your boy rides soon. You need to change the YZ to white.
Just a good weekend, glad to meet all of you. I can hardly wait for the next camping trip.:thumb:

I decided to make the turkey ride a day trip this year so that Weathergeek and Agent2 wouldn't have a chance to liquor me up again. Even though I was picking up the bike more than I was riding it, I had a great time. Met some new faces and saw some new terrain.

Went for a quick first ride with Travace, redswr and 2 others to the sand hills. We didn't stop much and I forgot about the camera so no photos.

As soon as we got back, a few of us joined up with Dave and his son (the hill climbers) and went right back to the sand hills. Though this time we took much more single track :banana:.

Kory's pipe had seen better days. I don't think there was a spot on it that didn't have a dent.
IMG_6581.jpg

Dave making it.
IMG_6582.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

This was probably the only climb that Dave's son didn't make.
IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

We headed back to camp around 1pm for lunch. I then hooked up with KTMRack and crew for a trip out to the Goler area so he could show everyone the famous slide. He knew the route and detours like the back of this hand. It was a mix of familiar and new.

This particular section was familiar. A fun little run up a loose rock canyon. I was glad it was mostly shaded as my dusty goggles and direct sun made for instant blindness. The last little bit was full sun at which point I just hung on, gassed it and hoped to steer clear of the big rocks.
IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

We visited the slide and it didn't look as bad as I had remembered it. I remember having to make an immediate left but if you approach it at the right angle it is a straight shot. I didn't get to test the new outlook on it as we were only there to visit. We turned back and made our way down to the wash via another canyon farther North. This one was quite fun but too short.
IMG_6597.jpg