Packs and vests ... what YOU should be carrying.

Rez, before you shell out clams for a fanny take a look at my old one. It is new and rather sweet. Attaches to a backpack as well. Maybe a trade for your husky pack is in order, I did pay like 70 bucks for it. I'll post up a pick when I get home. Or I could drop by your office at lunch tomorrow.

Stop by tomorrow if you want...I have a meeting at 1:00 or post up a pick. If you stop by, call me and let me know when you're here...park in front of the 2 story building (co's name is NOV), in the visitor parking, I'll come meet you...If I like it I might take you up on that trade....:thinking:

If you take a rock to the case (and it makes a hole), place the quarter/dime over the hole and put some JB Weld around it. Pretty sure Sun's already done this with success. :thumb:

I done it too. Worked great! I now have a piece of Georgia in my bike. :thumb:JB Putty is great. Highly recommend that stuff.

ok so here is what i got so far. Pic is missing my gopro stuff i carry( herp a derp forgot it) the money/license a point and shoot camera(thats what the lanyard is for Thanks Tim thats a great idea) and i need to buy myself a master link and get some spare chain... once i do ill throw a chain breaker i have in there. aslo not showin is the camerbak water resivour i carry.
2zz8ggz.jpg

Also that HUGE tire iron is not gonna stay in there. Soon im gonna grab the kind that is a wrench on one side and tire iron on the other.

No spare tube, or items to change it out. I don't think I'm the one that's crazy here. Also, 32 ounces of water is nothing. Just sayin.
its never hot here in western WA, and average ride time is 4.5hrs, with ~3.5hrs engine time(~45miles? of single track), its easier to limp to a road here then change a tire in the rainforest.

I'll remind you, keep those backpack straps tight dude, as little movement as possible :thumb: You don't want that huge amount of weight moving around when your skipping and balancing your bike over the dez floot :thumb:

Stuff you can pick up at the 99 cent store, tire patch kits, seal all tape, small tubes of 5 minute epoxy, hand wipes.

100_0525.jpg

There are two different types of rubber used for dirt bike inner tubes. Rubber cement works only on one type, good idea to test before finding out on the trail. Bridgestone's can be patched with rubber cement.

This may be a dumb question but we were discussing this over New Years. If you have a flight vest and a chest/shoulder protector set up, what goes on first. I said the vest goes on first and then the chest protector. Do you guys have it different. I am thinking of getting one of these flight vests so I can carry more goodies, like food and beer. :lol:

This may be a dumb question but we were discussing this over New Years. If you have a flight vest and a chest/shoulder protector set up, what goes on first. I said the vest goes on first and then the chest protector. Do you guys have it different. I am thinking of getting one of these flight vests so I can carry more goodies, like food and beer. :lol:
If you put the chest protector over the vest, you will not be able to get to anything on the vest without taking off the chest protector. Plus the chest protector will sit odd going over the vest.

If you put the chest protector over the vest, you will not be able to get to anything on the vest without taking off the chest protector. Plus the chest protector will sit odd going over the vest.
Makes perfect sense now that you mention it. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb:

I hate the hassle of putting on the protector, then the pack. Plus the pack straps bother me, especially if the pack is heavy. So I decided to homebuild my own vest. The backpack is permanently attached to the back, couple of army surplus pouches attached to the front. Works great, and as long as the weight is distributed more or less evenly between front and back, the protector doesn't "pull back" like a backpack. Some of you might say the front pouches might be a problem in a faceplant, but I don't see any difference between that and a flight vest. Along those lines of thinking, wearing a backpack on top of a protector should be a no no as well. To each their own.
100_0528.jpg

100_0527.jpg

100_0526.jpg

I hate the hassle of putting on the protector, then the pack. Plus the pack straps bother me, especially if the pack is heavy. So I decided to homebuild my own vest. The backpack is permanently attached to the back, couple of army surplus pouches attached to the front. Works great, and as long as the weight is distributed more or less evenly between front and back, the protector doesn't "pull back" like a backpack. Some of you might say the front pouches might be a problem in a faceplant, but I don't see any difference between that and a flight vest. Along those lines of thinking, wearing a backpack on top of a protector should be a no no as well. To each their own.
100_0528.jpg

100_0527.jpg

100_0526.jpg

A2, I've been wantign to do this for the same reasons as you...it's a pain doing both. questions, 1) What did you do with the straps on the pack? 2) How did you mount it onto the protector? Great job!

Makes perfect sense now that you mention it. Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb:

Screw the flight vest. Ride with a cheetah thong and everything else will take care of itself :smirk: