450F My new WR!

pretty sure it stripped yet ANOTHER key. This one i know i got perfect because i used sheet glass and sandpaper to remove the tiny bit of material i needed to so it would stay uniform. I also used red loctite on everything this time and let it sit for a good 6 hours. My next step is to actually remove the starter idler gear this go around (even though i wasn't useing the starter it could possibly still cause a problem after further inspection). Oh boy

i don't really think its a key issue as the last one i made was perfect. Although i do now have the problem of a key that is sheared off flush with the crank that is red loctited in. Looks like some VERY carrfull drilling is in order

SRAD97750

Staff member
Use a new, sharp punch if possible. I'm not sure how you're going to drill out a woodruff key...

I am rooting for YOU, buddy! You are now know as "MoJay" or "MoJazz" in my mind. Just an FYI... -BIG DAN:thumb:

Use a new, sharp punch if possible. I'm not sure how you're going to drill out a woodruff key...

I am rooting for YOU, buddy! You are now know as "MoJay" or "MoJazz" in my mind. Just an FYI... -BIG DAN:thumb:

A punch wasen't working so i drilled out the center to relive some of the stress on the key, then drilled a small spot on the edge. The spot on the edge gave my punch something to bite into and she came out. Spend an hour and a half making a new which convinced me to order a couple from the link you posted in case this one works out like the rest. This is the gear that (hopefully) was causing all the trouble. I just took it out this time so there is no possibility of it causing the failure which is what i highly suspect is happening
DSC00572.jpg

i lied dan, i didn't order them yet but i was about to and the part # dosen't match the same part # for any year wr450 i can find, is there something im missing?

Although this bike has been a pain so far, my favorite part about getting new bikes is the new wealth of info i find out about them and the kind of community's around them.
ex, got a chuckle out of this video, and i can say that i own a bike that people actually like now :shocked:
Pqk

well it stripped out again this morning even with it removed, i'll order 3 of them in case it happens again. im getting REALLY tired of this. This is the biggest investment i've ever made and i for some silly reason i thought that paying all that money would mean i would actually get to ride more than i wrench :rolleyes: