Other KLX 650R No-start

I dont have anything figured out already.
All I know is this; the more I learn, the less I know.
And that is proving itself to me here with this project.

Cam cap journals look do-able, or 'normal' to any of y'all?
They look 'not the same' to me.

Ah yeah always an adventure! Either way shims aren't all that expensive, neither is a cam chain for that matter. But be prepared I've bought all my bikes twice over with parts and Maint. You're never "done" ever. The only time I'll be officially done is when it isn't ridden. And then I must be dead

Oh man, that had me worried. Turns out it's not a crack, just grease from when I assembled it.

Also - I just went through the box of parts again and found 3 more shims.
(1) 2.25mm, and
(2) 2.30 mm's.

Last edited:
Oh man, that had me worried. Turns out it's not a crack, just grease from when I assembled it.

Also - I just went through the box of parts again and found 3 more shims.
(1) 2.25mm, and
(2) 2.30 mm's.

Looks like a crack to me:noidea:
Luckily it's grease.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9
Wow, tough crowd. I just got done reading some other very entertaining threads that have the same 'usual suspects' as this thread...hmmm, go figure.
However, since I can take it as well as dish it, I am gonna throw myself under the bus here, and shamefully give the latest update, and let them judge me...
And here it is;
I'm a moron.

I understand (Edit: at least I think I understand more of) why it's noisy now.
Had some operator error going on here, but we're all straight now, I think...
As it turns out, some of those valve clearance numbers I gave before, weren't in mm.
I tried to convert everything to .001".

Long story short - In my 3-4 pages of specs taken, with every conversion made, tightest to loosest, lots of different ranges coinciding with other ranges of things measured in a different measuring system...ahh...
It was all mathematical orgasmic bliss for a person that can float effortlessly between those 2 realms, oil stained pages in the manual, slippery pencils, notepads, and loves math more than other things...like girls, and bikes, guitars, and living, and things of that nature. So after 3 pages of figures I had my breaking point, and started from scratch, w everything in (sort of) mm. I stuck my decimal inch feeler gauge in, then measured that with the mm setting on my digital caliper.
So to sum up - I need thicker shims, and then whatever after that.

Last edited:
Wow, tough crowd. I just got done reading some other very entertaining threads that have the same 'usual suspects' as this thread...hmmm, go figure.
However, since I can take it as well as dish it, I am gonna throw myself under the bus here, and shamefully give the latest update, and let them judge me...
And here it is;
I'm a moron.

I understand (Edit: at least I think I understand more of) why it's noisy now.
Had some operator error going on here, but we're all straight now, I think...
As it turns out, some of those valve clearance numbers I gave before, weren't in mm.
I tried to convert everything to .001".

Long story short - In my 3-4 pages of specs taken, with every conversion made, tightest to loosest, lots of different ranges coinciding with other ranges of things measured in a different measuring system...ahh...
It was all mathematical orgasmic bliss for a person that can float effortlessly between those 2 realms, oil stained pages in the manual, slippery pencils, notepads, and loves math more than other things...like girls, and bikes, guitars, and living, and things of that nature. So after 3 pages of figures I had my breaking point, and started from scratch, w everything in (sort of) mm. I stuck my decimal inch feeler gauge in, then measured that with the mm setting on my digital caliper.
So to sum up - I need thicker shims, and then whatever after that.

Yes... We love shenanigans. We love people who have manuals and listen to us dispense both knowledge and slapstick. You're winning Thursday my friend because you are humble and gracious. Welcome to DBA :hail:

I should also add that I'm about 20mins down the road from you this week.

Last edited:
Lol, thank you.
This place is cool. I love the way the forum design is so intuitive. Makes navigation so much more efficient.
And if everyone here rides like those in the home page video's, y'all are 30 years younger than me, and friggin' rip.
@ Mihylo33 - What brings you this way?

Lol, thank you.
This place is cool. I love the way the forum design is so intuitive. Makes navigation so much more efficient.
And if everyone here rides like those in the home page video's, y'all are 30 years younger than me, and friggin' rip.
@ Mihylo33 - What brings you this way?

Vacation with the wife. Love the west coast.

Well if you think you can make it here in 20 minutes from the west coast, feel free to stop by. I dont know if I'll have those shims by the time you arrive but we can hang out in the garage and sweat, and pretend we're working on a motorcycle. Or we could just start drinking...:cheers: