Other KLX 650R No-start

Hello all,
I just picked up a 1993 KLX650R (A-1) that was a basket case and didn't run when I bought it, and came in pieces.
Well I put the pieces back together, and squirted some carb cleaner down it's throat but it wont even pop.

Compression is around 135psi, and I am getting spark. I just put the cams back in correctly so I know the valve timing is good.

Anybody got any experience with these and care to offer some advice?
It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Not me, I like to work on 2T bikes more than 4T. Are you sure it's all back together right and timing is right. Have a manual?

PS, wake Dans ass up, he's the resident mechanic. Well, that and Ossa, 2strokesteve, and a few others.

Yep, cams are in place correctly with crank at T, spark is present, compression 135, added carb cleaner, but nothing. And real damn tired of kicking this thing already. I dont want to bother installing the fuel tank until I at least hear it pop once.

Umm...yes, I was hoping for at least a pop from carb cleaner. Not gonna happen? Thats cool, I dont want to kick this beast any more than I have too. Especially when it's this damn hot out here.
Okay then, I'll do it all for real and get back to y'all. Thanks fellas.

How many "pieces" did it come in? Did you check the muffler/pipe for nests and such?
If it was mine I'd clean/adjust the carb, gas it up (post tank inspection) and pull behind a truck and see what happens.

I got it from a guy that got it from a kid that supposedly rebuilt it. I am guessing he had cam chain issues because it came with some bent valves in a box, along with a piston with some strike marks, a head, a cylinder, and also it came with another complete lower unit.

It also came with a bunch of new parts; both sprockets, a chain, new cam chain auto tensioner, ignition coil, aftermarket muffler, and it came with a factory service manual.

When I went to look at it the guy told me they couldn't get it running; well, they had the cams in wrong and they neglected to install a single head bolt.

So I really dont know what I have here, and I havent touched the carb other than to say that I looked it over, it looks and smells clean, and the slide and everything moves freely.
I am reluctant to rip anything apart too much further ($$$) until I at least find out if it's gonna go, or it's gonna blow.
I may end up tearing into the other lower unit and seeing if it's rebuildable, but I want to give this one a chance.

I gave the guy $300.00 for it.

trickle a small amount-very few drops- of gas into the spark plug hole and hold throttle wide open. It should start and run for a few seconds.

Very few drops?? everytime I try that i end up with about enough to do a hydraulic lock. turn it over once no matter what you put in it, with the key off, kill switch activated etc to make sure you don't have enough to do the afore mentioned "locK" especially if you are going to try the method I prefer (see two wheels). if you have everything it will go.

Okay, new update:
It runs.
I put some gas to the carb and kicked her over a bunch and got it to start. And it sounds pretty good. If I had to I would have resorted to 2wheels' advice and dragged her behind the truck, but it wasn't necessary.
I did not keep her running long because I dont have the cooling system hooked up, but for the 3 total minutes and 5 times I had her going, she ran, and I think ran pretty well.
At first the cam area was very noisy. I also noticed an oil leak at the feed line, so I tightened those 3 fittings. Then I changed the oil to some 20w-50 and the cam noise subsided, but it's still there and doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, but that feeling is much closer than it was before she fired.

So now my main concerns are;
cam noise, and transmission.

If I felt strongly enough that either of these two items were good I would hook everything else up and take her out for a ride.