Other KLX 650R No-start

Thanks for that parts layout, but that is not my engine.
The KLR and KLX are different.
I was wondering what they were referring to with the doohickey. It seems the name is appropriate.

Okay, new update:
It runs.
I put some gas to the carb and kicked her over a bunch and got it to start. And it sounds pretty good. If I had to I would have resorted to 2wheels' advice and dragged her behind the truck, but it wasn't necessary.
I did not keep her running long because I dont have the cooling system hooked up, but for the 3 total minutes and 5 times I had her going, she ran, and I think ran pretty well.
At first the cam area was very noisy. I also noticed an oil leak at the feed line, so I tightened those 3 fittings. Then I changed the oil to some 20w-50 and the cam noise subsided, but it's still there and doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, but that feeling is much closer than it was before she fired.

So now my main concerns are;
cam noise, and transmission.

If I felt strongly enough that either of these two items were good I would hook everything else up and take her out for a ride.

Heck, that is GREAT on such things as your water pump seal!! Why not just go for five minutes once, it is an easier number to remember!

Think cam chain tensioner when you are trying to track down the noise too.

Heck, that is GREAT on such things as your water pump seal!! Why not just go for five minutes once, it is an easier number to remember!

It's only been run long enough to verify a couple things then shut down, and I was probably being very generous when I said 3 minutes. And I've already been in contact with Krieger's Cam Chain Tensioners and may order their manual unit if this thing doesn't quiet down. I'll know more later today after I put the radiators and some coolant in. If I shortened the life of my water pump yesterday then :doh:...I'll live and learn and fork out the $$$ for a new pump.

I dont have the patience or the leg to kick a hibernating motor over especially a 650 but I'm glad you got it going!

Had he put gas in it the first time he would not have kicked it a million times. Engines need fuel, not carb cleaner to fire. And after five minutes of kicking, I would have drug that smubitch behind a truck as well.

Agreed, the seal probably suffered a little without coolant. But I'll bet the chain and tension assembly is making all the noise. My 520 (498) Beta has chain noise since day one.

Today I installed the radiators, filled, and pressure tested to 18psi like the manual says; it held, so all good there.
Then after kicking it a bunch more I got it running and got the air out, ran it for a few minutes, then shut it down to top off the radiator per the manual. Also, It doesn't have an overflow tank - if anyone knows where I can get one I'm all ears...

Then after 15 more minutes of kicking without getting it running I started to look at the carb.
After removing the top cover for the jet needle diaphragm I saw some dirt and nastiness so I removed the whole thing and started inspecting it. It was fairly clean inside like someone had been there before, and inside the float bowl all was looking pretty good, except the pilot jet was clogged pretty good.
The real nastiness came when I removed the coasting enricher cover. The diaphragm inside had obviously never been touched and the rubber had started to come off of it and was turning into a thick sludge and was stuck in place.

So I gave it a good cleaning and blew it out, but now I need that enrichment diaphragm.

So that's where it's at now.
Cam chain is still noisier than I'd like it to be, and I dont have the leg for this thing either.
Also - it needs an air cleaner...

Last edited:
I've been snapping bones since I was 14, but I'm gonna try and stop doing that anymore...I dont bounce back like I used to 30 years ago.
So where is a good place to get cvk40 carb parts? I need that backfire diaphragm thing, and the plastic choke fitting on the carb is broken too.
I also need and air filter of some sort, and a coolant overflow reservoir.
I'm finding that parts for this particular bike are hard to find. eBay is limited along with Amazon.
Does anyone know of a motorcycle boneyard that doesn't suck?

Bike Bandit has this;
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...cut-off-valves/k-l-air-cut-off-valve?m=150055,
but $30.00 is downright theft.
I have read that a Harley dealer might have this...

eBay has one coolant reservoir;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262576533952?item=262576533952&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
but it doesnt say what year it fits.

What is the general consensus when it comes to these things around here?