Other Kawasaki Kx80 build

SRAD97750

Staff member
This occurs more often than not when assembling case halves. I have done 50 of them and still it's half and half.
Typically I'll leave the garage frustrated multiple times. Have faith, she'll go.

I always go through the IPC multiple times verifying EVERY peice is in the correct location. One clip can do exactly what you're describing. Typically after a few trys, she'll go together.

On a particularly difficult crank i was experiencing binding in the last little bit of torque to the bolts. I went in circles 10 times. In the effort I damaged the threads on both ends of the crank. Ended up replacing the crank and new bearings. Everything went together smooth with the new equipment, I must have tweaked the crank on removal.
Keep at it, careful not to damage anything in frustration, and patience. We've all done what you're doing right now. -BIG DAN:thumb:
It turns out that I will actually turn, just not with my hand. I have to put the clutch basket on and twist it. Is it supposed to feel stiff to turn? Or is it supposed to be real loose?
It should spin free when installed correctly. Something is binding you up. Perhaps twisting.

This occurs more often than not when assembling case halves. I have done 50 of them and still it's half and half.
Typically I'll leave the garage frustrated multiple times. Have faith, she'll go.

I always go through the IPC multiple times verifying EVERY peice is in the correct location. One clip can do exactly what you're describing. Typically after a few trys, she'll go together.

On a particularly difficult crank i was experiencing binding in the last little bit of torque to the bolts. I went in circles 10 times. In the effort I damaged the threads on both ends of the crank. Ended up replacing the crank and new bearings. Everything went together smooth with the new equipment, I must have tweaked the crank on removal.
Keep at it, careful not to damage anything in frustration, and patience. We've all done what you're doing right now. -BIG DAN:thumb:

It should spin free when installed correctly. Something is binding you up. Perhaps twisting.
Thanks. I guess I'll just keep splitting the cases for the 100th time and making sure, then re applying hondabond for the 100th time also and hope it works....

SRAD97750

Staff member
Thanks. I guess I'll just keep splitting the cases for the 100th time and making sure, then re applying hondabond for the 100th time also and hope it works....
The yama/honda bond is my least favorite part of splitting cases over and over again.... -BIG DAN:thumb:

The yama/honda bond is my least favorite part of splitting cases over and over again.... -BIG DAN:thumb:
Yeah it very annoying!!! Also how can I tell if my gears are in right? They all turn like they should right now and the forks are in their grooves but is there a specific way to be sure?

SRAD97750

Staff member
Yeah it very annoying!!! Also how can I tell if my gears are in right? They all turn like they should right now and the forks are in their grooves but is there a specific way to be sure?
I like to shift it through all the gears while half installed, then place it in neutral for the actual closing of the halves. Keeps the two shafts from binding on each other. Also, be sure your dowels are 100% seated, they like to shimmy out a bit and bind. -BIG DAN:thumb:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Case half locator pins/bushings can cause trouble as well. Make sure they are installed and not all chewed up. If they are damaged, I would replace them. They line everything up. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I like to shift it through all the gears while half installed, then place it in neutral for the actual closing of the halves. Keeps the two shafts from binding on each other. Also, be sure your dowels are 100% seated, they like to shimmy out a bit and bind. -BIG DAN:thumb:
How do I shift through the gears?

Oddly enough mine (91)has gaskets. Yours does not even though the Clymer manual says it does. Parts fiche says nay.
So should I just try and buy a gasket online instead of using hondabond? I just keep on fitting it over and over and everything sits just right and the cases come together nice and even but it just won't let the gears spin as soon as I put the first bolt in

So should I just try and buy a gasket online instead of using hondabond? I just keep on fitting it over and over and everything sits just right and the cases come together nice and even but it just won't let the gears spin as soon as I put the first bolt in

Something isn't set right. I wouldn't buy the gasket if it calls for kawabond

What is going on!!!!????? How is it not working like that there's no reason it should do this!!!! I've seriously taken it apart at least 30 times and have made no progress at all!!!!!!!!!