Other Kawasaki Kx80 build

image.jpg Just bought a 1994 kx80 a week ago for $150. The guy didn't have it long and put it in storage for about 6 months because it stopped running. It's actually in great shape and the top end on it looks brand new. I put a new spark plug, air filter, chain and sprockets on it. I also cleaned the carb and plastic welded the cracked gas tank. After only a total of $250 invested including the cost of the bike, it cranks up perfect and idles too. Completely rideable, except when I first went to ride it! I let it warm up and then as soon as I put it into gear it shut off. I tried over and over and it kept on doing it. I then decided to rev it a lot when I put it into gear and it worked so I took off, but the bike rode extremely slow even while revving high and died out on my real quick. Also it sounds a little like a knocking noise on it but I just now checked the top end and I don't see any scratches or anything. It still looks perfect. Anyone have any ideas why it's not running right? I'm ready to ride!

Well this might actually be a good thing! It'll be a good chance for me to learn how to do the bottom end myself instead of paying someone. Plus increase the value, life, run better etc. and the complete wiseco bottom end rebuild kit for this bike is only $130

Well this might actually be a good thing! It'll be a good chance for me to learn how to do the bottom end myself instead of paying someone. Plus increase the value, life, run better etc. and the complete wiseco bottom end rebuild kit for this bike is only $130
I'd see if Hot Rods has a kit for it....

Very nice ride man! I am jealous I do say. That would look great next to my kx250! Sorry about your bottom end. Rebuild that girl
Thanks man! Should have a total of $400 invested once she's done with the fresh bottom end! It's a big wheel and fits me perfect. I also just bought a kx65 yesterday for $300 it needs a top end. Just trying to save up so I can start my summer project. Get a 450 and turn it into a supermoto!

Dang I had a feeling it was that but was hoping it wasn't... Could there be anything else that it might be before I go into something expensive like that?

Crank kit (crank,bearings,seals,gaskets)is about 350-400 plus the 150 you have into it not a bad deal, bike is worth at least 800 to 1200 in good shape.

$400 is not bad at all. Considering I have around $800 into my full motor rebuild and I didn't even have to buy a new crank thank God lol. Where are you finding these smoking deals haha