85 help kx

So it is running "just fine". I have to ask, if you could use half throttle, would you say it was running awsome? In my case if I can use all the throttle positions from idle to wide open I call it it normal.

Now on to your lower end: are you guessing it is good, wishing it is good, or did you check it?

Last edited:
Good. I would be curious about why the shop said it needed a new lower end. I have seen a couple of rigs where the bearing was bad enough to let the rotor contact the stator and that will make tge engine die.

Jetting: it won't change enough to cause the condition s you mention UNLESS a really big change has been made on something like the intake ir exhaust. People used to remive baffles or just saw off mufflers only to find that it wouldnt run past an eighth or quarter throttle. To me yours still sounds float related. ie setting or worn needle and seat.

If you are up to taking it back off I will talk you through how I would test it.

Backtracking here. Tell me what the plug looks like after you warm it up and try riding it.

Last edited:
Good. I would be curioys about why the shop said it needed a new lower end. I have seen a couple of rigs where the bearing was bad enough to let the rotor contact the stator and that will make tge engine die.

Jetting: it won't change enough to cause the condition s you mention UNLESS a really big change has been made on something like the intake ir exhaust. People used to remive baffles or just saw off mufflers only to find that it wouldnt run past an eighth or quarter throttle. To me yours still sounds float related. ie setting or worn needle and seat.

If you are up to taking it back off I will talk you through how I would test it.

Backtracking here. Tell me what thr plug looks like after you warm it up and try riding it.

A picture of the plug tip would be great.

So the bike now runs great other than it will leak gas If I don't have it running, it comes out the overflow on the bottom I've tried repeatedly to set the floats but other than that the bike is a blast any suggestions on what to do?

So the bike now runs great other than it will leak gas If I don't have it running, it comes out the overflow on the bottom I've tried repeatedly to set the floats but other than that the bike is a blast any suggestions on what to do?
Are you sure you have the float needle installed?

So the bike now runs great other than it will leak gas If I don't have it running, it comes out the overflow on the bottom I've tried repeatedly to set the floats but other than that the bike is a blast any suggestions on what to do?[/Q

Ok. So now you need to see why the float needle (together with the float seat, those two items become a valve) and seat are not coming together and shutting off. I do that two ways: one is to put a piece of fuel line on the carburetor that is long enough to hold the carburetor up at eye level and still fit in my mouth so I can exhale through it. While I do that I work the floats through their arc and you can tell if the valve is trying to shutoff or not when it is in the measured position.

Keihin carburetors will sometimes develop a leak down the back of the brass sleeve that the needle rides in. you can fix that with epoxy.

my reply is below

@seanrideshard, this is OssaGPs reply to you that was lost in a qoute....

OssaGP: Ok. So now you need to see why the float needle (together with the float seat, those two items become a valve) and seat are not coming together and shutting off. I do that two ways: one is to put a piece of fuel line on the carburetor that is long enough to hold the carburetor up at eye level and still fit in my mouth so I can exhale through it. While I do that I work the floats through their arc and you can tell if the valve is trying to shutoff or not when it is in the measured position.

Keihin carburetors will sometimes develop a leak down the back of the brass sleeve that the needle rides in. you can fix that with epoxy.

@seanrideshard, this is OssaGPs reply to you that was lost in a qoute....

OssaGP: Ok. So now you need to see why the float needle (together with the float seat, those two items become a valve) and seat are not coming together and shutting off. I do that two ways: one is to put a piece of fuel line on the carburetor that is long enough to hold the carburetor up at eye level and still fit in my mouth so I can exhale through it. While I do that I work the floats through their arc and you can tell if the valve is trying to shutoff or not when it is in the measured position.

Nice save Mike.