85 help kx

Floyd said running a slobbering rich flooding Qjet carburetor next to a plugged up lean one didnt average out and run like it should on paper either . I told him it's too bad they didn't have ebay back then so he didn't have to learn how to fix them. I just think of all the time some of us wasted.

Floyd said running a slobbering rich flooding Qjet carburetor next to a plugged up lean one didnt average out and run like it should on paper either . I told him it's too bad they didn't have ebay back then so he didn't have to learn how to fix them. I just think of all the time some of us wasted.

believe it or not, that's the strategy that the pcm's on today's newer vehicles use to prolong the life of the catalytic converter.....got one bank running rich,and it cant make the proper corrections to lean it out, the computer will lean out the other bank, even if it drives that bank into a lean misfire condition,there by keeping a proper mixture of exhaust gasses in the cat so it wont over heat or foul...... as long as that cat makes it past the 80k mile warranty mandated by the feds, the manufactures don't care about the misfire.

I'll bet for whatever his bill ends up being, he could buy virtually all the tools he'd need to fix anything on that bike in the future himself. Besides I don't trust anybody but myself to work on my bike...neither should he.
Amen What's the old saying... Teach a man to fish... I love fixing and tinkering on my stuff. Those are my girls and no man or woman will get their hands on them haha

Amen What's the old saying... Teach a man to fish... I love fixing and tinkering on my stuff. Those are my girls and no man or woman will get their hands on them haha

I think it goes "teach a man to fish and youll never see him again" but anyways , yeah I do the necessary maintenance and repairs needed to keep em going all season, but not much more than that. Not motivated enough after fixing cars all day long.

It has an almost new top end and the shop said it needs a bottom end rebuild the bike has way to much vibration I am going to buy the tools and do it my self. This will be a good thing to learn how to do. I might get a second opinion from another shop before I do anything tho as the first shop I think is full of it. They also said that one of the main problems was the kill switch and I find that very hard to believe. Any ideas on what I should do?

It would be a good thing to learn on all right. It's hard to imagine that the lower end problems are keeping it from starting. I hope you have a manual. Kawasaki used to send pretty good ones. One easy check (that is hardly thorough) is to remove the cover over the flywheel rotor. Once off you grasp the rotor and lift up and push down hard on it. For me it easiest to stand on the opposite side of the motorcycle and reach over. If you feel ANY movement at all you can stop there and begin teardown before you ride again. It only proves that one of three lower end bearings is bad. The other two (lower rod bearing sometimes called the "big end bearing" and the primary side main bearing) could still be bad. That easy method only gives you an indicator of the condition of the ignition side main bearing.

Of all the tools you may like to own, a real and intended for your bike flywheel puller is about the only have to have tool. Don't be tempted to use a gear puller. Other than that it is simple enough to do with a set of wrenches and normal hand tools. Making a square/rectangular frame out of 2x4 or 2x3 about 8"x10" will make the job a whole lot easier. You use that as a stand or jig to hold the engine as you work on it.

Last edited:
It has an almost new top end and the shop said it needs a bottom end rebuild the bike has way to much vibration I am going to buy the tools and do it my self. This will be a good thing to learn how to do. I might get a second opinion from another shop before I do anything tho as the first shop I think is full of it. They also said that one of the main problems was the kill switch and I find that very hard to believe. Any ideas on what I should do?

why not disconnect the kill button and see if they are right about that part?

Went and got the bike it is running just fine I think the bottom end is good for a while the bike has good power. I took the bike out to see I if It would even go and it passed. The only thing is I can only pull the throttle 1/4 of the way and it act's like I nailed it. When I pull over 1/2 it studders and anything over it act's like I'm holding the kill switch. Could this be the jetting I am guessing so.