85 help kx

ok so i got my bike to rev but when i gas it past 50 % throttle it boggs it is an 1989 kx 80 how do i get it to run and also when put in gear i have to let out the cluch realy slowly an even then it usually dies any help is welcome thanks.

ok so i got my bike to rev but when i gas it past 50 % throttle it boggs it is an 1989 kx 80 how do i get it to run and also when put in gear i have to let out the cluch realy slowly an even then it usually dies any help is welcome thanks.

Have you changed the plug? What color is the tip of the plug (black,brown,tan) , how old is the gas, have you cleaned the carb?is the air filter plugged?when did this start, was it running good before and then all the sudden ran bad? Have you checked compression? Run thru this list of basic checks/maintenance and see where your at.

The manual is the first thing to get. The second thing to do is to get really familiar with it. I think thoroughly cleaning your carburetor, setting the float (and testing it), setting the low speed screw, and taking an inventory of the jet sizes would be my first step. I would expect your bike to run much better and allow you to start getting used to it. From there you can figure out what you need next.

thanks ive cleaned every part of the carb and checked the plug the plug was kind of black the bike will go great with the choke on most of the time but will sometimes bogg help fairly good compression i bought the bike running like this where is the cheapest manual for this bike thanks guys

thanks ive cleaned every part of the carb and checked the plug the plug was kind of black the bike will go great with the choke on most of the time but will sometimes bogg help fairly good compression i bought the bike running like this where is the cheapest manual for this bike thanks guys

how much is fairly good compression? You should have at least 150 upwards to 200 psi.

Old carburetors can be pretty hard to clean. If you didn't have something similar to a Gunk immersion can to leave it to soak, then have a rubber tipped blowgun for your compressor and 48 hours plus to soak it, you may still have a dirty carburetor. My guess right now is a plugged low speed circuit and a high float level. That makes it unresponsive, and trying to flood due to the float level. All this is based on what was posted about a black plug and having to play with the choke. Air leaks are a pretty good bet when we are talking a bike this old.

today the bike ran decent when it
hit powerband i couldnt really wants to go but it studders before it hits somtimes it still only goes with the choke it has way more power than my ke 175
l

I will stand on my original "guess" from what you continue to report.

Now that you know what size your main jet is, maybe you can do the same for the pilot jet. Fyi the main jet circuit is the last kne to plug up.

Last edited: