Why is Third Gear the best gear for most situations

Hell, I still have some. Kaw green and white too. They still fit. Hard to believe i wore them in places like Bakersfield in July.
13513-05-3.jpg

122-1112-01-z+norstar-trans-am-boots-by-axo+.jpg

wow, for 18,500 you would think they wouldnt have had to eleminate the 6th gear. Seems like they couldnt get the 39.5 carburetor anymore. or went cheap.

Ever hear of a Puch?
I have... going into the waaaay back machine again (doing this a lot lately)... an old friend of mine had an enduro model that had a little screw on the throttle cable so you could set your "cruise control"... :shocked:

Green squarish tank with (I think) chrome fenders... he replaced them after time with silver/gray Preston Petty's...

Last edited:
I have... going into the waaaay back machine again (doing this a lot lately)... an old friend of mine had an enduro model that had a little screw on the throttle cable so you could set your "cruise control"... :shock:

Green squarish tank with (I think) chrome fenders... he replaced them after time with silver/gray Preston Petty's...

They had a Harry Everts model. 7 speed. didnt have the dual carburetor that his did though.

How about Malcolm Smiths Husky from (again, the waaaaay back machine) when he raced Baja... it had a custom 8 speed... Just learned this not too long ago where they had taken the 4 speed and added 4 more gears to it and attached a lever to the bars that he would engage when he wanted the "NEXT" 4 speeds... He said it was awkward to use but it worked.

makes the 2500 my friend has in hs AF honda conversion seem really reasonable. I am looking forward to riding it. Hopefully this weekend.

How about Malcolm Smiths Husky from (again, the waaaaay back machine) when he raced Baja... it had a custom 8 speed... Just learned this not too long ago where they had taken the 4 speed and added 4 more gears to it and attached a lever to the bars that he would engage when he wanted the "NEXT" 4 speeds... He said it was awkward to use but it worked.

Husky sold that to anyone. It was a dual range selector. Pretty cool actually. Hard to find now.

makes the 2500 my friend has in hs AF honda conversion seem really reasonable. I am looking forward to riding it. Hopefully this weekend.
the price of a SH is wayyyy too high for any stinkin dirt bike, I don't care if it took 2 bikes to make it.