Why is Third Gear the best gear for most situations

Believe it or not the @@#$$ is not the only bikes I have owned. I have owned 125cc and 250cc dirt bikes and I have rode different road bike variations as well. The one thing I have noticed is third gear seems to be the best gear for most situations. Do you feel the same way or am I alone on this subject as well? Maybe some one can post reasons why third gear fells right most of the time.

James

Staff member
I usually found myself in 3rd at the track, along with a little 2nd and 4th mixed in, depends on the track though. I've had a Supercross rider tell me that you can pretty much ride a supercross track in only 3rd (on a 450F).

I was always under the impression that the average speed for supercross was around 23-30mph. Out door was a little more than that. which is another reason why third gear feels so much better. Is that a wrong assumption?

Believe it or not the @@#$$ is not the only bikes I have owned. I have owned 125cc and 250cc dirt bikes and I have rode different road bike variations as well. The one thing I have noticed is third gear seems to be the best gear for most situations. Do you feel the same way or am I alone on this subject as well? Maybe some one can post reasons why third gear fells right most of the time.

:lol:

I think it is all mental. Of course how you have it geared and the track. It is almost like calling it "medium". We get programmed to buy anything that is "medium". Sheeple get too confused if they have to choose between big and small or high and low. :poke:

That's it? Was that a Wow as you're surprised by my answer or would you like to debate.
I have no reason to debate. More like surprised you could answer me with out wanting to have a debate.
No, actually I was pulled away for a minute or two to take care of something. my post was cut short.

I ride tight woods a lot and find that second works best but when you find a small opening then yeah, i'll click it up a gear.

Last edited: