Whats your take on Forged vs. Cast Pistons

I agree with what your saying, the only thing I would add though is, as I've said before in other threads, if you dont know how to do something, you can send it to a shop,and pay them for they're experience and knowledge, or you can do it your self and build your own knowledge base,because the ones who call them selves experts didn't know how to do what they do at one time. nothing wrong with doing it yourself, making mistakes and learning so you don't have to depend on someone else the next time, as long as your willing to pay for your own mistakes, when(not if) you make them.

I agree however in this particular case the focus is on a critical issue not something that is "ooops, oh well, let's try it again" like adjusting valves where the bike might run bad and need to re-adjusted... not much harm done unless you continue to run with it, who knows what might happen... in this case it's a case of "better get it right the first time" because it's going to be costly if you don't...

If anything have someone you know (a friend) who has experience do it or coach you thru it so the errors are minimal if any... jumping in all the way if inexperienced might have drastic results.

OK..... :deadhorse:..... next!

No not at all. I just like the sealing better with two rings. A single ring works just fine for a small bore cc engine from a 65 - 300cc. Those engines have a lot more rpm's than a 500cc two stroke. Most of the time I am only half throttle. Full only on long straights and the starts. Two rings seal better at lower rpm's.

Send me another picture of the sky in "your world". You won't notice anything I. Riding the two. Your 500 will continue to pull like a Baldwin with a single ring. It won't feel like it is reving any higher either.

Send me another picture of the sky in "your world". You won't notice anything I. Riding the two. Your 500 will continue to pull like a Baldwin with a single ring. It won't feel like it is reving any higher either.
It would not hold as much compression. Not to mention I would have to replace the ring more often.

Wtf is this thread about???

Forged is better than cast.
There is more silicate in cast so it is less prone to cold seize.
Cold seizure is more prone in air cooled engines and cast cylinder engines. If you don't have 3 minutes to warm up your engine then you get what you deserve. If you don't own feeler gauges to check your ring end gap and your piston clearances then you get what you deserve. I was at one time ASE certified and Honda certified and trained. I do nothing without a manual for reference.

Cold seizure is more prone in air cooled engines and cast cylinder engines. If you don't have 3 minutes to warm up your engine then you get what you deserve. If you don't own feeler gauges to check your ring end gap and your piston clearances then you get what you deserve. I was at one time ASE certified and Honda certified and trained. I do nothing without a manual for reference.
:shocked:

Last edited:
It would not hold as much compression. Not to mention I would have to replace the ring more often.

ok, just don't go on living thinking that silly notion about the low speed compression, or that low speed compression (as you put it) will affect anything you are going to notice. less ring drag is considered a good thing in some racing situations. if you think about it the crf's use a single compression ring, as do many other race rigs. don't bore me with "but it is a 4 stroke" please.

When you talk about "silicate" or silicates you are talking about silicon derivatives. Anions in this case. I would agree that the hypereutetic cast pistons generally all have silicon, I am not so sure about them all being in silicate form. Correct me if you are sure though Mi.

When you talk about "silicate" or silicates you are talking about silicon derivatives. Anions in this case. I would agree that the hypereutetic cast pistons generally all have silicon, I am not so sure about it being in silicate form. Correct me if you are sure though Mi.

I'm not one of those photographic memory dudes unless the women are naked but I do remember reading miles of notes on these topics from seasoned vets and engineers. I remember them being called silicates for some reason. Wiseco currently uses more silicone derivatives in their pistons for better tolerances and to help prevent cold seizure.
I may have read that on their website.

you spelled it right and I didn't. Silicon is widely used, but I don't know if it is always in silcate form. You have to wonder if someone noticed the type of sand they were casting pistons in and decided to dump some in or if it was an accident to begin with.

you spelled it right and I didn't. Silicon is widely used, but I don't know if it is always in silcate form. You have to wonder if someone noticed the type of sand they were casting pistons in and decided to dump some in or if it was an accident to begin with.

I don't think you'd want any sand within your casting as that will cause a weak area or "pocket". It is probably from the sand used that made the mold or pattern...

I will add this, although one is better than the other, and I am no engineer, just a guy that can turn wrenches.

Any name brand product you pick will work well within its intended operating time, issues occur when things (pistons for example) are used beyond their intended service life. Pick one, run it for its time, and replace it. sleep easy.