Whats your take on Forged vs. Cast Pistons

Ok you get a point there. Maybe I will check the clearances on my friends piston to cylinder. Before I send it out the be bored over. But, when I do buy it back I will most likely purchase a wiseco piston. :thumb:
P.s. All the engine shops I have spoke with like P.c., Varner and Forward Motion (Eric Gore). They all sell pistons in house. They say they will match the cylinder to the piston you purchase from them. So why would I really need to question the clearances from a reputable engine shop. ? I feel as long as you do the proper warm up before you ride it should be just fine.

Ok you get a point there. Maybe I will check the clearances on my friends piston to cylinder. Before I send it out the be bored over. But, when I do buy it back I will most likely purchase a wiseco piston. :thumb:
P.s. All the engine shops I have spoke with like P.c., Varner and Forward Motion (Eric Gore). They all sell pistons in house. They say they will match the cylinder to the piston you purchase from them. So why would I really need to question the clearances from a reputable engine shop. ? I feel as long as you do the proper warm up before you ride it should be just fine.
Always question everything, it's your bike , not theirs.

I could be wrong but, I would think if the four stroke warmed up faster. Wouldn't it be more likely to have a cold seizure? When using a forged piston.
EDIT. If you did not give it proper warm up time.

Last edited:
Few check a new piston going into a used bore. I seem to have good luck with feeler gauges. We used to use them with a fish scale to see how much drag the gauge had.

AF. Are you afraid you 500 won't have enough compression to start if you run a single ring?

Few check a new piston going into a used bore. I seem to have good luck with feeler gauges. We used to use them with a fish scale to see how much drag the gauge had.

AF. Are you afraid you 500 won't have enough compression to start if you run a single ring?
No not at all. I just like the sealing better with two rings. A single ring works just fine for a small bore cc engine from a 65 - 300cc. Those engines have a lot more rpm's than a 500cc two stroke. Most of the time I am only half throttle. Full only on long straights and the starts. Two rings seal better at lower rpm's.

No not at all. I just like the sealing better with two rings. A single ring works just fine for a small bore cc engine from a 65 - 300cc. Those engines have a lot more rpm's than a 500cc two stroke. Most of the time I am only half throttle. Full only on long straights and the starts. Two rings seal better at lower rpm's.[/QUOTE
3 rings would be better than 2 Barnum and baileys thinks so.

Last edited: