Pro Toronto Supercross 2014

James

Staff member
I don't know the timing as it relates to the qualifying. From my understanding, the Asteriks team suggested he go to the hospital.
Did he actually go to the hospital?

BTW regarding the IV thing, the way I understood it is that if you medically need an IV (severe dehydration) the Asterisk's med unit with administer one. And if they consider you medically fit after they'll allow you to continue to race.

It is probably one of those when and why things. I can guess it was all done according to the rules (not that I have read them lately) but Roger Decoster knows them better and gets to rewrite them faster than anyone else I can think of, and he hasn't squawked as far as I know.

Did he actually go to the hospital?

BTW regarding the IV thing, the way I understood it is that if you medically need an IV (severe dehydration) the Asterisk's med unit with administer one. And if they consider you medically fit after they'll allow you to continue to race.
1)Yes, he spent most of the day at the hospital. He even said that in his interview.

Being sick does not qualify as an "emergency medical situation" as a result of participating in the event. That is why he wouldn't answer or say anything about it.

2.4 Intravenous Hydration a. At no time during the event may a rider receive any type of intravenous hydration, unless such hydration is deemed medically necessary by medical personnel as a result of an emergency medical situation (i.e., heat stroke) encountered by the rider during, or as a result of participating in, any practice, qualifier, moto race or other activity in the event.
b. Once a rider receives such hydration during the event, the rider will not be permitted to compete in any further event activities, including but not limited to, any further practice, qualifier, moto race or other activity in the event, unless and until the rider is released by the medical personnel who treated the rider for the specific emergency medical situation at issue.
c. Any rider who receives medical treatment from the event medical director and where such treatment includes the recommendation that the rider be transported to an emergency medical treatment center, said rider shall be prohibited from competing or participating further at that event.

James

Staff member
1)Yes, he spent most of the day at the hospital. He even said that in his interview.

Being sick does not qualify as an "emergency medical situation" as a result of participating in the event. That is why he wouldn't answer or say anything about it.

2.4 Intravenous Hydration a. At no time during the event may a rider receive any type of intravenous hydration, unless such hydration is deemed medically necessary by medical personnel as a result of an emergency medical situation (i.e., heat stroke) encountered by the rider during, or as a result of participating in, any practice, qualifier, moto race or other activity in the event.
b. Once a rider receives such hydration during the event, the rider will not be permitted to compete in any further event activities, including but not limited to, any further practice, qualifier, moto race or other activity in the event, unless and until the rider is released by the medical personnel who treated the rider for the specific emergency medical situation at issue.
c. Any rider who receives medical treatment from the event medical director and where such treatment includes the recommendation that the rider be transported to an emergency medical treatment center, said rider shall be prohibited from competing or participating further at that event.
:thumb:

It's all just mumbo jumbo and it will all just go away. I will draw my own conclusion as will everyone else, and will continue to have my own personal opinion of him. Which, for me, has changed.:rolleyes:

C can conflict (wrong word, but I will leave it now, but meant complicates the statements in B) with B as well as the first paragraph, as far as I am concerned. Doesnt sound like it would preclude him from getting the IV anyway, and keep him from riding as long as medical personnel clear him. Typical AMA. To further complicate it, the reason that he would have received the treatment had NOTHING to do with the event. The Asterisk people and facility are probably not equipped to diagnose much past heat stroke and race related injuries to begin with. I sure can't see anything wrong. I would be Decoster couldn't either. With Dungey 25 points back, he would be screaming.

Last edited:
What don't you see anything wrong with? Now there hasn't been any verifiable proof that anyone got an IV, and I am sure there never will be. That would have to come from him and that is obviously not going to happen. This is only conjecture so if that is troublesome, no worries.:thumb:

“We made the best of a bad scenario [today],” said Villopoto. “I woke up in a lot of pain this morning and the Asterisk Mobile Medical Crew thought it was best I [go to the hospital] to get checked out. I got out of the hospital and was lucky to make it in time for the night show. We salvaged a lot of points and I’ll go to the doctor back [home] in California to make sure we’re ready for St. Louis next weekend.”

This is a no-win situation for the other teams with the HIPPA laws and so forth. Take him at his word. Ewwww, beer bonging Pedialyte all day, that would be a site to see:lol:

Well as the law/rule is written it is just fine if the intent is to keep someone with a stomach ache from riding as opposed to someone who has heat stroke. Make your own call on who you want to ride against in that case. The law as I see it is written to keep some of the blood cooling and blood doping from taking place in mx/sx more than that though. Heat stroke is only given as an example. But it doesn't state it is limited to that. I don't think the intent was to make a rider stay at the track and get an IV from someone that might give an IV a few times a week as opposed to somone that gives them hourly or oftener. Like you said, you draw your own conclusions. If the other teams aren't whining you can bet they have done it or want the option open to them too.

James

Staff member
The law as I see it is written to keep some of the blood cooling and blood doping from taking place in mx/sx more than that though.
This is why I think that rule was added, not so much to keep an injured rider from racing.

Exactly. Put Chad Reed on a bike with broken bones and let him see if he can qualify?? SURE. Possible IV for food poisoning ? NO!!!! I don't think that was the spirit of the rule either.

Well as the law/rule is written it is just fine if the intent is to keep someone with a stomach ache from riding as opposed to someone who has heat stroke. Make your own call on who you want to ride against in that case. The law as I see it is written to keep some of the blood cooling and blood doping from taking place in mx/sx more than that though. Heat stroke is only given as an example. But it doesn't state it is limited to that. I don't think the intent was to make a rider stay at the track and get an IV from someone that might give an IV a few times a week as opposed to somone that gives them hourly or oftener. Like you said, you draw your own conclusions. If the other teams aren't whining you can bet they have done it or want the option open to them too.
Lemme guess, it's only cheating if you get caught:thumb:

Something like that. Only cheating if you tell on yourself? What would I tell my son if he was in position to pocket anywhere from a medium six figure number to a small seven figure number? "son, when I told you to always tell the truth, I didnt meant NOW!!"

I just want to see the picture of the guy that is going to fink himself out on that one. Er, what I really want to know is how to get in contact with his sister, mother, gf etc