All Ticket from BLM regarding litter in the fire pit.

You can't even dump fresh water on State Parks land. Grey water dumping is illegal anywhere. I have seen Rangers in Ocotillo have a fit over it... but they are State. I'm guessing BLM will have an issue if they see it too.

I had a BLM enforcement guy stop and check our draining grey water. He said it was OK as long as it wasn't black water.

AND...50%$ of the people LEO contact are dicks or stupid. That's why they are being contacted.

NY eve in OW i watched at least 100 of those chinese lanterns get lit off. the problem is they dont burn up they come down. the other thing is they come in packs of 20 so when a camp site lights em off there is lots. all night long you would see a group of 10 go flying off. of course i knew exactly whaqt i would find the next day. bright flourecent green and red and blue paper trash wraped around bushes. i swear to shit the dez is gonna start looking like Tijuana if people dont stop lighting those things off.

really sucks you got a ticket and all that. i use to be a throw my bottle in the fire guy but i dont do it anymore and i always did trash pick up before we leave anyway. One good thing about OW in recent years is the dumpsters in the chain fence on the way out. quick stop at that before going home is :thumb:

the only thing i have and will leave next to a camp fire when i pack out is fire wood thats not scrap wood. There is always people that go site scrounging for wood and i know i have appreciated someones left over wood many of times.

Last edited:
Im guilty! We did the lanterns this trip. We also drove all over picking up trash. Lanterns included. We are not going to be doing those anymore. I agree, they end up as trash no matter what.

I think soon the "shame" factor will take hold in the ride community. As in, your not cool if you burn them. Use me as the example if you will. I shamefully admit to lighting some on New Years. And I vow not to do them again. The few we have left we will tether and make sure we keep an eye on them and throw them away. We picked up many. Not sure if they were ours or not but that doesnt matter. The point is, litter period.

i took part when the group i was with pulled em out once as well. then the next day that shame factor hit me as well. i honestly did not know they didnt burn up in the air.

i wish i took a pic of the scene i came upon. prolly 15 of em in bushes sp[read out in not that big of an area. i want to post a pic like that on a few FB pages just to bring awareness to people.

Bummer about the ticket, I think enough people volunteered to help pay so that's cool.

Pallets, I hate those idiots that bring them out.
Scrap wood, as long as nails and screws are not in it good.
Lanterns, seen them from afar but never in our camp.
Fireworks, oh that's just plain good fun as long as you pick up after.
Gas bombs (aka sobe) they are just good clean fun if you pull it out before the glass breaks. Mississippi Mud bottles are great and they don't break easy after they go off. Can't help it, to fun.
The whole idea is to pick up when you get there and pack out what you pack in.
Peace....

I had a BLM enforcement guy stop and check our draining grey water. He said it was OK as long as it wasn't black water.

AND...50%$ of the people LEO contact are dicks or stupid. That's why they are being contacted.
I realize that Mike, but if you choose that as your line of work, one has to survey the situation first BEFORE being a dick. You cannot throw out the baby with the bath water.

I work with the public and with law enforcement every work day and have for 30 years. I know people are inherently stupid. But that is no excuse to be an ass as well. If you don't like your line of work, change.

I am meeting with Tom tomorrow and will post a copy of the ticket in the next few days. Will then give out my PO for whoever wants to donate the $20. Any money left over can be dealt with after. If there is any, maybe I could use it to have a community BBQ where me and Brent (xquadtard) can smoke some killer meat at the next get together. Thank you everybody. This has been a good informative and educational post.:thumb:

I am meeting with Tom tomorrow and will post a copy of the ticket in the next few days. Will then give out my PO for whoever wants to donate the $20. Any money left over can be dealt with after. If there is any, maybe I could use it to have a community BBQ where me and Brent (xquadtard) can smoke some killer meat at the next get together. Thank you everybody. This has been a good informative and educational post.:thumb:

Chinese lanterns - I looked to buy some of these on line before heading out for this trip. It seemed as if most of them were "green environment friendly". I need to go back and look at the website and see what that actually meant.

Chinese lanterns - I looked to buy some of these on line before heading out for this trip. It seemed as if most of them were "green environment friendly". I need to go back and look at the website and see what that actually meant.
It means they are biodegradable in 100 fucking years! That's right, environmentalist think their shit don't stink! It does, for a hundred damn years!! Just like plastic shopping bags are supposed to be or were supposed to be better than paper. And plastic cups made from corn base material is supposed to be better glass. Ok, rant over!!! Damn enviro nut jobs.

it dont matter if it only takes 2 weeks for them to biodegrade i dont want to ever see that shit in the dez and every night i have seen them in the sky... i see em in bushes the next day.