All Ticket from BLM regarding litter in the fire pit.

For all of us that camp and sit around the fire pits, this is info we should all know. I am not trying to preach to anyone, but to save everybody some heartache and a hole in their wallet.

One of the last people left at our camp at Spangler--Prospector's camp was given a citation for having litter left in the fire pit and for leaving a "hot pit". There was bottles, cans and other such things that did not burn. It was explained to me that the "proper" way to deal with this is to dig out all trash upon arrival at site, and make sure that all litter is removed and fire is completely out. The ranger made my buddy dig out the pit and pour gallons of water on it to make sure it is out. The purpose of this thread is to educate all of us so no one else gets a ticket in this situation. The ranger obviously was a dick and had nothing better to do. Let this be a lesson for all, as all government juridictions are looking for revenue to build their coffers. We should stop thowing anything in the fire that will not burn immediately. If not, we risk having to pay and deal with the other legal consequences.

:naughty:I am always the firepit natzi when it comes to people putting glass, cans, chairs, etc in firepits. I have been this way for years when I used to camp with others that no longer go out with us anymore. It also pisses me off when I ride through others camps that have left a smoldering pit of non burnable shit laying in a heap of ashes. This stuff does not burn or just disappear in a few days. I got to a point where I would not even camp with some friends of friends because they always brought out a shit load of pallets and would leave behind a fire pit of nails and trash. I personally use a cut off 55 gallon drum made into a fire pit that I empty when done, scatter the ashes and take it on my way. You never know there was even a fire there. I will send you my $20 to help with this ticket but I did see a bunch on non burnable things going into that firepit. I think we should have more rangers out making sure people don't litter our playgrounds with a bunch of burnt trash. All that shat left behind certainly does nothing to help with our cause of leaving land open. Down in the huge Anza Borrego desert, you will get a ticket if you even have a fire on the ground and not in a container as I have constructed. This is the reason I have my Borrego Burner as we call it.

Last edited:
I burn trash all the time in the barrel on my property. It will all burn glass, cans etc. Like all Jos said, you just have to get it hot enough. That being said, this is my land not the governments so I so what the hell I want. If I was on public land it would be a different story. Carry on.

I burn trash all the time in the barrel on my property. It will all burn glass, cans etc. Like all Jos said, you just have to get it hot enough. That being said, this is my land not the governments so I so what the hell I want. If I was on public land it would be a different story. Carry on.
Key point here is fire needs to be hot enough to melt stuff. Just can't leave anything behind.

:naughty:I am always the firepit natzi when it comes to people putting glass, cans, chairs, etc in firepits. I have been this way for years when I used to camp with others that no longer go out with us anymore. It also pisses me off when I ride through others camps that have left a smoldering pit of non burnable shit laying in a heap of ashes. This stuff does not burn or just disappear in a few days. I got to a point where I would not even camp with some friends of friends because they always brought out a shit load of pallets and would leave behind a fire pit of nails and trash. I personally use a cut off 55 gallon drum made into a fire pit that I empty when done, scatter the ashes and take it on my way. You never know there was even a fire there. I will send you my $20 to help with this ticket but I did see a bunch on non burnable things going into that firepit. I think we should have more rangers out making sure people don't litter our playgrounds with a bunch of burnt trash. All that shat left behind certainly does nothing to help with our cause of leaving land open. Down in the huge Anza Borrego desert, you will get a ticket if you even have a fire on the ground and not in a container as I have constructed. This is the reason I have my Borrego Burner as we call it.
Much obliged.

My wife gets mad at me for even putting plastic in the fire. I have been around those who litter and don't see a problem with it...not my kind of people. I suggest on the next trip the existing fire pit if used be inspected and cleaned before using. And we keep everyone aware of the consequence's. Geek tell me where to send the cash.

My wife gets mad at me for even putting plastic in the fire. I have been around those who litter and don't see a problem with it...not my kind of people. I suggest on the next trip the existing fire pit if used be inspected and cleaned before using. And we keep everyone aware of the consequence's. Geek tell me where to send the cash.

Count me I'm too Bruce but you already knew that.

:thumb:

I will be happy to send $20.00 to _ _ _. I have heard the story and think it is BS.
I have also run across Rangers that are pricks! Cloud Geek please let me know where to send the cash to.
It is sad but true that a majority of rangers are dickwads, kind of like cops. I have encountered some really nice versions of each and it gives you another perspective on what they do and what we can do to help the situations. Unfortunately, they seem to treat everyone like we are all out to ruin society.

I have never appreciated friends that make me breath their trash. The stench when THAT GUY is out there in the go home AM burning his weekend's trash over a cold morning fire so we all get to smell the stench as we pack to go home. Might as well dump his tanks on the ground while at it.

I keep my mouth shut as it's a no win conversation. Can't make someone not stupid in a single chat. I too have a trash burning pit at my house. 4 foot diameter... 4 foot tall... It is like a super furnace that consumes everything I toss at it... roars like a jet plane... nothing survives... whole trees have gone in there and I have little ash to show for it because it burns so well. But that's not how most camp fires are... and we don't have big ass fire hoses when camping like I do at home.

It does take water... gallons of water to end a fire. Dirt/sand is a myth... sand knocks down flames but does NOT end the fire. Stir the sand and the embers can reignite the moment oxygen hits them. A wind storm after you leave can cause a serious desert fire here in the high desert.

2 cents

Last edited:
Well that sucks! But this is a good info to share.

I have a friend who thought a fire was out in the pit. He went to pour a tad of gas on it and before the liquid reached the ground flames shot up and burned him severely. It was terrible! He was hard to put out with gas spilled on him. He was wearing a moto street jacket that saved his upper body but both his legs were torched. In the hospital for over a month. I just thought I would mention it because often people assume the fire pit is completely dead when it is actually still hot underneath.

Anything I throw in the fire, I deal with. Metal hoops from a cardboard barrel, glass containers from the entertainment segments of the evening, and usually, I'll pull the cans thrown in from others before the next fire is lit. To continue to be an asshole, I kind of like that they are policing a camp fire, maybe word will get around not to leave the Dez so trashed. Next, they need to target the Chinese lanterns.

Lastly, what's a Paypal addy that I can throw twenty at the ticket also.