250F In honor of a fallen friend

Here is the start of the oil cooler I am making for the race bike. Going to be a design kind of like the Factory KTM guys but a little different though. I thought of this idea a while back and then I saw it on the KTM desert bike last week. Thinking about making some for other models but going to try it out on the race bike.

OIL-cooler.JPG

Well got some work done today on the Oil Cooler. We have decided to go a different route. We are going to use a liquid to liquid heat exchanger as apposed to an air to liquid oil cooler. The heat exchangers are way more efficient so we can make it smaller yet still have the same cooling. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week.

Here is the oil filter cover. We have to get the oil out of the motor and back in. Going to put 45 degree fittings on the cover to try and keep it as slim as possible.

oilcooler.JPG

Love this thread Brock :cheers: Do you have a full machine shop at your disposal?

I have a little fab shop in the back of the shop here. Nothing to crazy. I have a buddy that has a mill and lathe in his garage and he helps me out with what ever I can't do myself. He is making the cooler part of the oil cooler, because I am not that good at welding aluminum.

Here I just have the basics: Press, Sander, band Saw, Lift, Mig and Tig Welder, And a nice welding table that I am proud of. Just finished it up.

I just started moving my stuff in here, so it isn't to set up but it is a work in progress.

shop.JPG

Just wondering, why the full DIY exhaust? For the unique factor? For fun? or because you believe it will work better than anything on the market?

Just got a call back from Dr. D they are going to help me with the custom exhaust. They are going to supply me with NS-4 mufflers to my own specs! These guys are awesome. I called 5 exhaust companies and they were the only company willing to help.

Thats awesome news! :thumb:
$5 Dr D stops by to see how its working out... He loves that stuff

Just got a call back from Dr. D they are going to help me with the custom exhaust. They are going to supply me with NS-4 mufflers to my own specs! These guys are awesome. I called 5 exhaust companies and they were the only company willing to help.
Last year Monkey-boy ran a Dr. D system and won a championship with it. It was awesome. This year Yoshi is his sponsor (if by Yoshi you mean Dad) :smirk:

Just wondering, why the full DIY exhaust? For the unique factor? For fun? or because you believe it will work better than anything on the market?

I have always wondered what it meant when the pro's said, "these are custom made pipes for our race team from brand X". This always peaked my interest because what made them custom? Materials? Dimensions? Well after doing some research I found the formula used to figure out exhaust header diameter and length. Then I realized that the custom made pipes are custom to each bike and rider. They very from track to track and so on and so forth.

The idea is to figure out what RPM's the motor is going to live at on a certain track or in certain conditions. Then you build the exhaust to make that motor as efficient as you possibly can in that RPM range in which it is operating. Most aftermarket pipes are built to please the masses. So they are designed to work right in the meat of the power band. They make good power on the bottom, more power in the middle and a little power up top. Which for most people that is perfect.

But take this next race we are going to. The Silver State 300 is 370 miles this year. It is mostly wide open two track, so it is a very high speed race. The bike is going to be in the upper RPM range at this race. There is no aftermarket exhaust company that offers a pipe for this type of ridding. WHY, because if you tune the exhaust to help the motor run really efficient on the top it will run like crap on the bottom. Most people would not want that trade off. For us though we will take that. The only time the bike is going to see first and second gear is coming in and leaving the pits.

Take this video for example. This is Robby bell at the San Felipe 250 this weekend. Listen to the bike as it leaves the pits. It sounds like a dog. I know that have really tall gearing on the bike so that is contributing to it to, but listen to it when it is up in the top RPM's you can tell it is still pulling and making power. That is because FMF made them special baja pipes. Like they do for all their teams.

Here is a picture that I snagged from THR facebook page that confirms my theory. Check out the diameter of the pipe and the hole in the silencer. It is huge. Which is what is needed when the bike is going to live at 8000 + RPM's.

RBTHRKAWI.JPG

I hope I didn't bore you with this long post but just thought I would share with you what I thought.

I Agree the pipes are built for each bike, person and condition. Back in '93 FMF built me a pipe for my KX500 that had the hit of a CR500 off the bottom, but pulled like a KX500 on top but a little longer and harder. This was done for the tall gearing we ran, so you could get out of tight conditions, but be able to pull the tall gearing across the valleys.

Bell took a pretty good header around the 4 min mark in that sandwash.. You can hear him pin the rev limiter on that one. Wit most of us laying there in the sand licking our wounds, he picks himself up, grabs the bike and is back up to 80+ mph speeds in no time.

Got some more parts in today. Factory connection hooked us up with some suspension. This is the Vegas to Reno set up but we are going to use this race as a break in race, to let all the riders get acclimated to the motorcycle.

TYsuspension.JPG

Also got this from Pro Taper. Going to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. The twister throttle has a bearing in it so it is suppose to have zero friction plus it is aluminum so it can withstand some damage. We will see.

PTtwisterThrottle.JPG