DUAL SPORT BIKES Pro's and Con's

Pardon the hi jack here,,,I am not by any means up to par on gearing but from what I hear, 1 tooth change in the front is same as a 3 tooth change in the back, so isn't going down from a 15 to a 14 the same as going from a 45 to a 48 and by doing so isn't this a much shorter gear ratio than that of a 15/45, so it would be slower in the DEZ which I thought you wanted taller to get across the DEZ floor.
Aw yes my fine yellow rider friend and recent member of the "Crusty Trails Racing" team. 15/45 gearing on the 6 speed TTR is good for about 110mph down the highway (I saw 103 on the first day), but a little too tall for the average dez use. I ran a 14/45 and was happy, but not quite where I wanted it. Would have been good if I was still trail riding on a professional level :smirk:. The 14/48 brought it to a good all around gearing for what I like. It will still see 90 mph if tucked in and on good high speed dirt, but good for lofting the front end up over "G" outs and other obstacles that might come up fast.

The thing about changing the counter shaft is it changes the gear ratios. 15/48 is not the same as 14/45. With the 15 on front, you will notice that your 1st and 2nd gear feels a little taller then if it was a 14. 14 brings it in a little tighter on the lower gears and makes them more manageable.

Hope that all makes sence...

:hail:
Aw yes my fine yellow rider friend and recent member of the "Crusty Trails Racing" team. 15/45 gearing on the 6 speed TTR is good for about 110mph down the highway (I saw 103 on the first day), but a little too tall for the average dez use. I ran a 14/45 and was happy, but not quite where I wanted it. Would have been good if I was still trail riding on a professional level :smirk:. The 14/48 brought it to a good all around gearing for what I like. It will still see 90 mph if tucked in and on good high speed dirt, but good for lofting the front end up over "G" outs and other obstacles that might come up fast.

The thing about changing the counter shaft is it changes the gear ratios. 15/48 is not the same as 14/45. With the 15 on front, you will notice that your 1st and 2nd gear feels a little taller then if it was a 14. 14 brings it in a little tighter on the lower gears and makes them more manageable.

:prof:

ahh, I see so you like to do some "launching" and needed a lower gearing :thumb: I hear ya,,, I don't even want to see 90mph on dirt.:shocked: 5th tapped on the old RM every once in awhile is enough this oh boy :ride:

im sure you meant miles. id expect to get 70 or 80 maybe with my bike.... depending but ive had to hit reserve at 42 miles in LPNF and 53 miles here in San Diego.

Captain Pumpkin rode the 2nd day or our 2 day run. He has the stock tank on a 2010 KTM 450 EXC. He ran out of gas at 68 miles, switched to reserve and ran out at 79 miles. Just about 1 mile shy of the gas stop. Travace you need to work on your jetting.

Captain Pumpkin rode the 2nd day or our 2 day run. He has the stock tank on a 2010 KTM 450 EXC. He ran out of gas at 68 miles, switched to reserve and ran out at 79 miles. Just about 1 mile shy of the gas stop. Travace you need to work on your jetting.

Yea, lot of people install overly rich jet kits and the mpg's suffer. I should know because I'm kind of one of them. I have to jet rich just to lower the temps enough to reduce pinging that I can get. Ironically part of my problem is due to restricted cooling due to the larger tank. In severe operation conditions I've burned through almost my whole 4 gallon tank in 100 miles. Normally I'm good for about 120. If I could jet leaner I'm sure that I could get more like 150 or 160 out of that tank.

This is what I have to say. I usually can go around 70 miles or more before I ever need to switch to reserve. I have yet needed to switch over to that reserve tank. However, at the Rez the last time out, I believe I started to run out of gas right as we pulled into camp rez. :thinking: I am not sure but I think we did right around 60 miles that day but riding with Timo through the sand and rocks and on dirt roads at 80mph has a tendency to use more fuel. :devil: I may have to get the larger tank or go slower.

You have the 3.3 Trav?
no its the stock 2.5 but i want to get the 3.3

i really dont understand why CDA gets such great mileage with his. Before i put the JD jet kit on i did 64 in Arrowhead ... which is a lot like LPNF in ways and i didnt have to hit reserve but i was close.

i asked the guys at the shop when i took it in for valve adjustments and they said it was right. prolly could go a little leaner and get a better MPG. i might play with it and test it out.

more importantly i think i need to work on my belly and not twist so hard when its not needed.

no its the stock 2.5 but i want to get the 3.3

i really dont understand why CDA gets such great mileage with his. Before i put the JD jet kit on i did 64 in Arrowhead ... which is a lot like LPNF in ways and i didnt have to hit reserve but i was close.

Maybe the 64 was mostly down hill :noidea:

Maybe the 64 was mostly down hill :noidea:
not at all ... Srad had the GPS but it was a lot of accent and decents. Jeting defintly killed the MPG but i would think (based on other guys with the same bike ive rode with) i should get a little better MPG but i guess rider weight and how that rider rides makes a big difference.

not at all ... Srad had the GPS but it was a lot of accent and decents. Jeting defintly killed the MPG but i would think (based on other guys with the same bike ive rode with) i should get a little better MPG but i guess rider weight and how that rider rides makes a big difference.

Maybe you should try putting around in 2nd gear like I do. It sure helps the mileage range!

All this crap about jetting and fuel miles. Get a FI and forget about that crap. It gives me a head ache just thinking about it. I did a gut buster in BB a couple/few weeks ago and never seen the low light come on with my IMS tank of 3g. was about 80+> miles of technical climbing and rock dodging. Fan was on most the time, never over heated and thats it.
Rez, stop talking and get a bike, season is a rolling. There are plenty of good DS used bikes that are for sell and cheep. And really, I don't give a rats ass if you jump to a brand of another. So don't take the Traitor thing to hard. :thumb:

All this crap about jetting and fuel miles. Get a FI and forget about that crap. It gives me a head ache just thinking about it. I did a gut buster in BB a couple/few weeks ago and never seen the low light come on with my IMS tank of 3g. was about 80+> miles of technical climbing and rock dodging. Fan was on most the time, never over heated and thats it.
Rez, stop talking and get a bike, season is a rolling. There are plenty of good DS used bikes that are for sell and cheep. And really, I don't give a rats ass if you jump to a brand of another. So don't take the Traitor thing to hard. :thumb:

Right now Rez is just yellow/chicken. He's not even a traitor yet!

:stirthepot:

Seriously PALMER, because of you "I" am losing sleep at night, every night...even my dogs sleep more than I do..........:smirk:......gotta pay off the truck first, then comes the bike! :banana: