DUAL SPORT BIKES Pro's and Con's

You really can't compare the big DR and KLR to "real" dirtbikes. I can't imaging doing tirght trails on a KLR. It's just not made for that. The DR650 is a bit better, but I would rather be on my XR600 by a large margin.

You hit that one right on the head Cleonard. Thats my whole point. While they are nice bikes they arent really suited to do the things that they are sorta advertising that they will do. Sure you could run a DR 650 and KLR 650 through the stuff that you run your purpose built dirt bike through. But it would be alot more work and not nearly as fun. Thats why if you read my whole post I stated that a REAL dirt bike converted with a Baja kit is the best bet in my opinion.

You hit that one right on the head Cleonard. Thats my whole point. While they are nice bikes they arent really suited to do the things that they are sorta advertising that they will do. Sure you could run a DR 650 and KLR 650 through the stuff that you run your purpose built dirt bike through. But it would be alot more work and not nearly as fun. Thats why if you read my whole post I stated that a REAL dirt bike converted with a Baja kit is the best bet in my opinion.

Did read it...problem is from what I hear because of thte omission shizzle you can't do that in Cali.......YA just gotta do what I've been doing and do some homeiework! :smirk: I know the difference between e 530EXC vs a 690 Enduro or whatever they're called...I think that's it and the 990 is the Adventure. The bigger the bike the less nimble...like you said, takes more work to handle the big bikes. The basic use for them is for "end of the pavement" type riding dirt/fire roads, Jeep trails, etc. not signle track or rough terrain. etc. :prof:

the 690 is still like the adventure bikes. looks like a bit smaller 990. I agree those are fireroad bikes and what i want to tour the country on :smirk:

Have you made up your mind Rez, yet?:thinking:

Brand...NO...the fuel thing is the breaker...New Husky's have no after market tanks due to the design, Husaberg has one that replaces the plastic subframe HOWEVER, in order for it to fit you have to remove some of the omissions shizzle...:devil:...and KTM...butt-loads of after market stuff but everybody and his brother has a KTM :smirk:. As for DS vs OR...DS...might as well. I've had a Suzuki, Yamaha and a Honda, don't want to go there unless I absolutely have to....:rolleyes:

Bergs are good bikes from what ive seen. Rode with 2 guys on separate occasions who had loaners from a shop both liked the bike.

The only problem with them (in my case) is IF I were to want to put on the additional fuel tank (subframe replacement) it hinders the omissions crap...:devil:

What is emissions crap? :noidea:

oh yeah, Emissions not omissions...where's the fricken spelling po po when you need em?

(If you're serious) I haven't seen it on the Berg's but on the Husky's it's a canister dwon towards the bottom of the cylinder just above the case just waiting to get torn off by a bush or bashed in by a rock...since it's in the way of the subframe on the Berg, I have no idea where it's located but seeing as how everything is tucked in it might be up inder the seat or ??? :noidea:

Not that I know anything but I have heard that on the new bikes, the rangers, po po or whomever, knows what is supposed to be there and if they see it is all gone you may be ticketed. We must all have clean running and no smog belching dirt bikes out there in the desert. I bet there is a lot more pollution coming from all the weed whippers, blowers and lawn mowers but those are all okay. :prof: