Bikes...Big bores

I had the same problem in 2007/8. I was looking for plated magic button and kick. I could not get past the orange color. Granted, KTM is a great bike to most people but I have seen more problems with them then Husqvarna. Believe me, A 450 mile ride in Mexico with 27 Husky bikes, 2 chase trucks and 32 people there was not one bike that had a problem. Now take the guys that are on DBA, 530 has had no problem yet that I know of, Msgt, had his bike in the shop for a looooonnng time when new, CDA just lost all power on the Geek/LPNF ride, If I am not mistaken Travis had his bike in the shop for something too. I have three Huskies and not one of them are a shop queen. I purchased 2 new and one used. they all have over 3,000 miles and zero problem with having to go to the shop. Fork seals, batterie, that is it.....
Rez, have you looked for the used 450, 510, 619 2008 up? I know you want big grunt but really, you ride my 450 and I think you may like it. Remember the 449/511/630 and 08 up 610 for that matter are all e-start only. Can be problematic when dealing with the way they run the FI system. KTM has that on their side, the FI KTM bikes run with under 7.2 volts left in the batterie, Husky does not, unless they fixed that this year.

I had the same problem in 2007/8. I was looking for plated magic button and kick. I could not get past the orange color. Granted, KTM is a great bike to most people but I have seen more problems with them then Husqvarna. Believe me, A 450 mile ride in Mexico with 27 Husky bikes, 2 chase trucks and 32 people there was not one bike that had a problem. Now take the guys that are on DBA, 530 has had no problem yet that I know of, Msgt, had his bike in the shop for a looooonnng time when new, CDA just lost all power on the Geek/LPNF ride, If I am not mistaken Travis had his bike in the shop for something too. I have three Huskies and not one of them are a shop queen. I purchased 2 new and one used. they all have over 3,000 miles and zero problem with having to go to the shop. Fork seals, batterie, that is it.....
Rez, have you looked for the used 450, 510, 619 2008 up? I know you want big grunt but really, you ride my 450 and I think you may like it. Remember the 449/511/630 and 08 up 610 for that matter are all e-start only. Can be problematic when dealing with the way they run the FI system. KTM has that on their side, the FI KTM bikes run with under 7.2 volts left in the batterie, Husky does not, unless they fixed that this year.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/2497559342.html

not hard to find used if you are looking. I would offer him no more than 38 and start at 35.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2460960983.html

Even closer and less.

I've been looking...window shopping only right now, getting feel for what's out there and what their asking...I've seen several nice bikes (450's and 510's.) I've sen the one in YV, there's usually a couple in the IE and OC and San Diego...Even found 1 in the LA area who was selling his at Eric's (Husky) in Pasadena. Of the new bikes the only one that I noticed had e only was the TXC 511 (maybe the 449, but haven't read up on it yet). I'm sure the 450 will have plenty of power...starting big then can trickle down if necessary! :thumb:...:ride:...:thinking:

I do not have a long history with the KTM's myself but I had one friend who had a 2003 525 and he never had any problems of any kind with that bike and he rode it very hard, right up to the day he was killed on it. :shocked: I have another friend who has a 2005 525 and it has several hundred hours and over 5 or 6,000 miles on it and he has never done anything to it to this day except for sprockets and maintenance, not sure his valves ever needed adjusting. I have 80 hours and 2300 miles on mine and all I have done is change the oil and regular maintenance. CDA only lost his horn and electric start probably from a loose wire somewhere. Not saying other bikes are bad but I have never heard any negative reports on the orange bikes either. :prof:

OK, so the latest scenario of my future DS purchase is as such. I went to 3brosracing in Costa Mesa to check out their shop...knowing they sold KTM's I never took an interest however they now sell Husky's AND Husabergs which I didn't know. I really liked their way of business, willing to sit and chat about bikes, no hurry in moving on to the next customer (as it was at MS)...very personable from the guy behind the counter (Eduardo) who is also in sales...to Ricardo one of the owners. We compared all 3 bike brands, I'm really leaning towards the Husaberg (FE570)...reason being, as I've mentioned before I like riding different...KTM's aren't different anymore just look around you all......that bowl is full of fish...:smirk:...BTW no more 530's for them, 2012 they're coming out with a 500 which is actually a 510cc...

As for Husky, I just don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about them and their future...could be a good one, I don't know...just not feeling it as much as before...:rolleyes:...it was recommended notto go with the 630, nto a good ST bike more so a jeep trail, fire road bike...dropping down to a 511 they have limited fuel capacity with no aftermarket tansk due to the current design. The Husaberg is in a simialr situation however they DO offer an additional tank that increases capacity by 1 gal making it 3.2 gal.

Any of you that have experienced the Husaberg brand by all means chime in...PLUS Husaberg's now owned by KTM so it's like one big happy family! :thumb:

Rack rode one up at the LPNF ride you missed. I never heard much about it during that trip but CDA said it felt like a moped when he took it for a ride. :thinking:

A couple of things.

The HTM 530 is only 510cc. KTM almost never names the largest bikes with a number the same as the displacement. The older 525 was also onlt 510cc's.

Fuel injected bikes generally do a lot better in the miles per gallon than the carbed bikes. Expect 45 mpg if not 50 unless you mess with the injection mapping. Now I'm sure that many will have different stories, but that is my observation from riding with others on FI bikes. I'm thinking that a 2.5 gal tank would be good for 100 miles.

James

Staff member
I went to 3brosracing in Costa Mesa to check out their shop...knowing they sold KTM's I never took an interest however they now sell Husky's AND Husabergs which I didn't know.
:thinking: So you went there only expecting KTM's? Was somebody getting ready to drink the kool-aid? :smirk:

:thinking: So you went there only expecting KTM's? Was somebody getting ready to drink the kool-aid? :smirk:

No...(not yet :devil:)...I found their ad on the internet they NOW SELL HUSKY's so I wanted to go check them (the shop) out...cool place, not like the mega mal dealers we've got out here like MS, Bert's mega mall and Chaparal...where they almost all carry ALL the brands...I think MS now does...:prof:

A friend that I work with has an '11 FE 570. I have not had a chance to ride it, but he seems pretty happy with it. It sure is a beautiful looking bike. The way the engine is mounted supposedly makes them handle very well. Like a much lighter bike than it is. He got the accessory 1 gal tank for it also. The extra tank is actually a hollow plastic sub-frame that replaces the stock unit and is plumbed into the stock tank so there is no need to manually switch from one to another. It'a a cool set up, but expensive. I think they cost around $500. I haven't been on any long rides with him, so I don't know what kind of mileage the bike gets, or how necessary the extra gallon is. As far as power goes, it's got my 450X beat by a mile. There is a steep hill climb that we ride that I get a nearly wide open 3rd gear run at. Almost half way up, I need to drop down to 2nd to keep it going to the top. The Berg lugs along in 3rd gear and makes it to the top easily.

A friend that I work with has an '11 FE 570. I have not had a chance to ride it, but he seems pretty happy with it. It sure is a beautiful looking bike. The way the engine is mounted supposedly makes them handle very well. Like a much lighter bike than it is. He got the accessory 1 gal tank for it also. The extra tank is actually a hollow plastic sub-frame that replaces the stock unit and is plumbed into the stock tank so there is no need to manually switch from one to another. It'a a cool set up, but expensive. I think they cost around $500. I haven't been on any long rides with him, so I don't know what kind of mileage the bike gets, or how necessary the extra gallon is. As far as power goes, it's got my 450X beat by a mile. There is a steep hill climb that we ride that I get a nearly wide open 3rd gear run at. Almost half way up, I need to drop down to 2nd to keep it going to the top. The Berg lugs along in 3rd gear and makes it to the top easily.

hey Rolls, That sounds exactly like what I am considering. I'd try having them throw the 1 gal tank in the deal....:thumb:...:smirk:....Yeah, the sub-frame design is different to say the least but at least they have an alternative where Husky doesn't. Husa also has a larger tank (3.?) but is a PITA to mount according to DB mag. Thanks for the in-put. :ride:

hey Rolls, That sounds exactly like what I am considering. I'd try having them throw the 1 gal tank in the deal....:thumb:...:smirk:....Yeah, the sub-frame design is different to say the least but at least they have an alternative where Husky doesn't. Husa also has a larger tank (3.?) but is a PITA to mount according to DB mag. Thanks for the in-put. :ride:

I went did the dirty...bought myself a Husaberg FE 570 ... I'm having a few "goodies" put on...Barring any mishaps I should be able to pick her up Thurs or Fri in time for the GEEK ride...
Goody list...
1 gal sub-frame fuel cell = 3.2 gal :banana:
Bark busters...I know, spare me...I like em :blah: :thumb:
Stubby rear fender w/flush mount signals :thumb:
frame skins - save wear and tear of the frame by the pegs :rolleyes: :thumb:
Fan - :thumb:
Shark fin :thumb:
48 tooth in place of the 43 :shocked: and a new (longer chain :thumb:
Unpacking some of the exhaust...:devil: :thumb:
Scott's stabilizer :ride: :thumb: