Bikes...Big bores

Since I am in the market (somewhat) for a new or new'er bike I want to get some feedback from all you that currently have big bore bikes preferrably in the over 500cc range but you little 450 guys can chime in too...:smirk:....:devil:....

My story...I've had 3 big bore bikes thus far, al 4 strokes...1st one was a 1978 Yamaha TT 500 desert sled...That bike sold me on the strokers AND overall power...To this day if it'd kept running it would give any similar sized bike a good run. Second was a 85 Honda XR 600 sold me on the single shock ride but didn't have the balls the TT had...got out of riding (real stupid mistake...but that's water under the bridge) Now that I've gotten back into riding (roughly 5 years) I have an old 94 Husky WXC 610...nice ride, good power...but as most of you know I am tired of kicking the beast (El Diablo courtesy of A2) PLUS kicking ED on the left side PLUS PLUS....kicking ED on the left side when I'm flat out tired :foul:. So, here's where I'm at (I won't say quandry since I pretty much know what I want) I just want to get some in-put from you guys with BIG bikes and how you like them in relation to say a 450 or smaller...:smirk:...power, weight, and the PLATE factor where it applies...:thumb: Why I am wanting a BIG bore bike...(500cc +) is due to my current size and previous size of bikes, the power they have to haul my rather thick body around especially through Geeks favorite...washes and long up hills...PLUS they just plain haul azzzzzzzzz. Go BIG or go home! :prof:

OK......ready set....BEGIN! :ride:

Since I am in the market (somewhat) for a new or new'er bike I want to get some feedback from all you that currently have big bore bikes preferrably in the over 500cc range but you little 450 guys can chime in too...:smirk:....:devil:....

My story...I've had 3 big bore bikes thus far, al 4 strokes...1st one was a 1978 Yamaha TT 500 desert sled...That bike sold me on the strokers AND overall power...To this day if it'd kept running it would give any similar sized bike a good run. Second was a 85 Honda XR 600 sold me on the single shock ride but didn't have the balls the TT had...got out of riding (real stupid mistake...but that's water under the bridge) Now that I've gotten back into riding (roughly 5 years) I have an old 94 Husky WXC 610...nice ride, good power...but as most of you know I am tired of kicking the beast (El Diablo courtesy of A2) PLUS kicking ED on the left side PLUS PLUS....kicking ED on the left side when I'm flat out tired :foul:. So, here's where I'm at (I won't say quandry since I pretty much know what I want) I just want to get some in-put from you guys with BIG bikes and how you like them in relation to say a 450 or smaller...:smirk:...power, weight, and the PLATE factor where it applies...:thumb: Why I am wanting a BIG bore bike...(500cc +) is due to my current size and previous size of bikes, the power they have to haul my rather thick body around especially through Geeks favorite...washes and long up hills...PLUS they just plain haul azzzzzzzzz. Go BIG or go home! :prof:

OK......ready set....BEGIN! :ride:

Go on a diet and get a 450 :moon: :

:smirk:

The only reason I converted the TTR to a 530 is I already have a 450. Plus I figured that since I am going to a plated scooter, I would go with the bigger bike for the long open transitions across the desert. I will say that I enjoy my YZ over the TTR as the 450 is a lighter and snapper bike. The TTR is electric and smooth with great power to pull you up or through anything. I put it to the test on a few climbs in the Rand Mountains and it was impressive. There is not a whole lot of diff between the KTM 450exc and 530 but the 530 has more grunt and top end. The question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need all 610cc or whatever it is? If you ride mostly open dez and not much tight stuff and like to go real fast, then go with the big bore, otherwise, the 450 is plenty bike and since it is lighter, you will not get as tired.

Is that what you were looking for?:noidea:

The KTM 530 exc is pretty good, especially after you get it uncorked and the gearing right. with lower gearing you can get through anything you need to and still has some top end speeds. With the stock gearing, it goes way faster than i would of ever used. something like 110 mph. I hit 85 once, and still had a gear and a half left. figured, that was fast enough.

32471_0_1_2_xr650l_Image%20credits%20-%20Honda.jpg

XR 650

You know what I am going to say. Live long and prosper, no need to drink the cool aid. I would go with the Husqvarna 630 or the Honda 650 in the big boy class. I would also like to chime in with the TE 450 and 510 if you can still find last years on the show room. I will now bow out for the feed trough. :ride:

The only reason I converted the TTR to a 530 is I already have a 450. Plus I figured that since I am going to a plated scooter, I would go with the bigger bike for the long open transitions across the desert. I will say that I enjoy my YZ over the TTR as the 450 is a lighter and snapper bike. The TTR is electric and smooth with great power to pull you up or through anything. I put it to the test on a few climbs in the Rand Mountains and it was impressive. There is not a whole lot of diff between the KTM 450exc and 530 but the 530 has more grunt and top end. The question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need all 610cc or whatever it is? If you ride mostly open dez and not much tight stuff and like to go real fast, then go with the big bore, otherwise, the 450 is plenty bike and since it is lighter, you will not get as tired.

Is that what you were looking for?:noidea:
This is the perfect answer. Any 450 you get now will have far more power than your 15 year old bike and be way lighter. Do you really need the extra grunt? Is it worth being more tired all the time, just to have that extra power ONLY when you need it Kimosabe? Answer that and you're done here. But whatever you do, get a plated bike if possible. :ride: