Bikes...Big bores

Before I answer your question, let me ask one myself. Why did you put this in the truck, and trailer forum? :lol:

Now, I'll say again as I have before, you live in Cali, whatever bike you do get, get one with a plate. Oh yeah, a button would be a real good thing too.:smirk:

Before I answer your question, let me ask one myself. Why did you put this in the truck, and trailer forum? :lol:

Now, I'll say again as I have before, you live in Cali, whatever bike you do get, get one with a plate. Oh yeah, a button would be a real good thing too.:smirk:
:thumb: .. even with a button, ensure it has a kicker too, for backup.

The only reason I converted the TTR to a 530 is I already have a 450. Plus I figured that since I am going to a plated scooter, I would go with the bigger bike for the long open transitions across the desert. I will say that I enjoy my YZ over the TTR as the 450 is a lighter and snapper bike. The TTR is electric and smooth with great power to pull you up or through anything. I put it to the test on a few climbs in the Rand Mountains and it was impressive. There is not a whole lot of diff between the KTM 450exc and 530 but the 530 has more grunt and top end. The question you need to ask yourself is, do you really need all 610cc or whatever it is? If you ride mostly open dez and not much tight stuff and like to go real fast, then go with the big bore, otherwise, the 450 is plenty bike and since it is lighter, you will not get as tired.

Is that what you were looking for?:noidea:

Yup......the problem I am faced with is..I want to stick with Husky, always wanted one, got an old one but would love a new one...HOWEVER, the new 449's and 511's have peanut sized tanks with no O/S after market tanks available due to the location of the current tanks...behind the head and under the seat...fuel capacity is roughly 2.5 max. I suppose I could carry extra fuel. :thinking:...the 630 comes with a 3.3 gal tank. I don't haul azz very often (age induced fright :shocked:) so I really don't need THTA big of a bike. I may have to settle for a used bike maybe a few years old that can accept an O/S tank.

This is the perfect answer. Any 450 you get now will have far more power than your 15 year old bike and be way lighter. Do you really need the extra grunt? Is it worth being more tired all the time, just to have that extra power ONLY when you need it Kimosabe? Answer that and you're done here. But whatever you do, get a plated bike if possible. :ride:

I know...that's what I'm wrestling with, my own self...I am going plated, will consider the 450 but starting with the 510/511 to see what I can get.

Or at least ride with a buddy, who has a tow strap so he can get a bump start.:P

Timo - part 1 :finger:part 2 :thumb:
Msg - :thumb:
Timo - :thumb:, I think I know of at least 1...........:thinking:.....:smirk:

That would make quick use of any of the dry lakes out by the Rez for sure.:hail: But it doesn't have a plate, or a button, and I don't think those tires would work very well in a wash either.:P

Maybe someone should let James know to move this thread to the right forum.:prof:

I was wondering where to put this other than in the bike stuff...I saw VEHICLES, trucks and trailers and went with it.......:foul: me :lol:

I had the 450 YZ for 6 years and loved it and it had plenty of power for anything that came along. I did not like the 4 speed tranny and had it geared up so tall for the desert that it sucked on tight trails. I got the 530 because it was available from a friend in need of money and it was new and a great price. I probably would have gone the 450 if I had to make the choice of the two. One thing for sure, the 530 is faster than anything I have ever ridden and geared properly it will still go 90mph or more :shocked: and be perfect for the tight trail riding. My buddy rode my bike and said he about stained his shorts as he was riding a 400 Suki. He now owns the KTM 450 plated bike and loves it. I hope this helps you figure out which way you want to go.

I had the 450 YZ for 6 years and loved it and it had plenty of power for anything that came along. I did not like the 4 speed tranny and had it geared up so tall for the desert that it sucked on tight trails. I got the 530 because it was available from a friend in need of money and it was new and a great price. I probably would have gone the 450 if I had to make the choice of the two. One thing for sure, the 530 is faster than anything I have ever ridden and geared properly it will still go 90mph or more :shocked: and be perfect for the tight trail riding. My buddy rode my bike and said he about stained his shorts as he was riding a 400 Suki. He now owns the KTM 450 plated bike and loves it. I hope this helps you figure out which way you want to go.

It does and I appreciate it.....:thumb:...I've discounted the 630 mainly due to it's weight...330 vs 265 of the 449 and 511. KTM's actually less than that however they are orange for goodness sake...:smirk: Now it's between the 511 and 449...leaning towards the 511 for the extra grunt...depends on what I can find! :prof: