250F Another 2004 KX250F Project/Build

Told you I got shavings! (Sorry for bad photo quality, camera batteries are dead.)
Anybody recognize these?
Shavings.JPG
These are just a portion of the pile.

Y'all probably dont remember but dude I bought it from said he took it apart to replace the big rod end bearing, and it has a new one on a new rod.
If these are the old rod bearing shavings I'll keep moving along...

Last edited:
Told you I got shavings! (Sorry for bad photo quality, camera batteries are dead.)
Anybody recognize these?
View attachment 31045
These are just a portion of the pile.

Y'all probably dont remember but dude I bought it from said he took it apart to replace the big rod end bearing, and it has a new one on a new rod.
If these are the old rod bearing shavings I'll keep moving along...

Hard to tell. Any of them stick to a magnet?

That's lead dude. In my experience dealing with this type of situation, it's usually the wife. They always claim self defense...

really though, i doubt that is needle bearing. It was boxed when you got it so you may never know, but that is some serious "shavings"

If my camera batteries weren't dead I'd post a better picture of the rest of them stuck to the end of my magnet, and there is plenty more. They were only on the engine side of the oil pump.

Wow, that many? I would inspect everything a little more thoroughly and consider a new oil pump.

Wow, that many? I would inspect everything a little more thoroughly and consider a new oil pump.
Other than the shavings I haven't seen anything that really makes me worry. Case halves look good, transmission looks good, to me at least. I'll pickup some batteries today and get some pics, maybe you guys will see something I dont.

I got a new oil pump in the box with all the other new OE parts. I'm just taking my time putting it all together. I still need to tap that hole that I had welded, remove the old bearings and clean the cases. I'm not wanting to turn on the oven in my house at the moment and am considering getting a heat gun first...And when I get done with the bottom end, I still need to get the head done.

If it weren't 100 degrees in my garage I'd probably be done with this project, but even if my shop had A/C it's too hot to ride right now anyway.

Last edited:
Got some batteries.
Here is the majority of the shavings-
100_3053r.JPG
And then here are some other pics-
100_3054r.JPG 100_3055r.JPG
I still need to get y'alls opinion on what to do with this cylinder, if anything?
I cannot feel anything with a fingernail, and with the top ring in it in multiple positions you cannot see light behind it anywhere...
100_3059r.JPG 100_3058r.JPG

Looks a little glazed over, but not damaged. If the ring gap specs out I'd put on a light crosshatch and run it. Or at least scuff it with a scotch brite pad.

Any pictures of the ends of the transmission shifting Forks? That and the dogs on the gears would be suspected places for metal shavings to come from.

I'll snap a few when I tear it all down, but the shavings came out the crank side of the case.
Shavings from the transmission side wouldn't get in there would they?

Cases and cylinder look good. Yes shavings will collect in the crank side especially if it's the low point. 250fs share crank and trans oil. Honda is the only one with separate sumps.