250F Another 2004 KX250F Project/Build

I'm finally getting back around to this thing and I'm ready to put the case halves together, but the left side crank bearing is on the crank.
Is it okay to install the case over the crank bearing like that, or do I have to remove it and install in the case first?

Also, does the 2 oil screens come with a rubber washer/boot on BOTH ends of the screen, or just one? Mine have 1 on each end and I cant tell from the fiche how many there should be?
Oil Screens.png

Last edited:
I'm finally getting back around to this thing and I'm ready to put the case halves together, but the left side crank bearing is on the crank.
Is it okay to install the case over the crank bearing like that, or do I have to remove it and install in the case first?

Also, does the 2 oil screens come with a rubber washer/boot on BOTH ends of the screen, or just one? Mine have 1 on each end and I cant tell from the fiche how many there should be?
View attachment 31771

Is it a new bearing? Has the crank been rebuilt?
I’m always weary of putting these things back together unless I know that the crank bearings are new and the rod bearings are new....ish.

Yeah rebuilt crank and new rod & bearings.
It didn't go together right, crank binds us at the bottom of the stroke.
Time to disassemble.

Yeah rebuilt crank and new rod & bearings.
It didn't go together right, crank binds us at the bottom of the stroke.
Time to disassemble.

Are you using the crank puller to assemble?
When assembling the case are you using the bolts and spreading out the torque in a star pattern at only a couple turns each time?

Okay, back into this thing.
Got the engine done, new valves and shims, starting to come along.
But now I find that I need radiators.
Plenty in the 80 dollar range on the bay.
Any reason not to use them?
20181104_143211111.jpg

did you get the seats cut for the new valves?
No.
I took advice from people here, from another forum, and from my local motorcycle shop owner, and did something in between, that I shouldn't have.
Whatever. It'll work.
I plan on going in to the head again at the end of winter anyway, if I still have it.

So, back to the original question - $80.00 radiators from China a bad buy?

Run them Chinese mofos. Don’t crash and you will be fine. Hell its aluminum and stockers are buttersticks anyways.
So, who’s terrible advice did you take? Did you solvent test or dye or anything?
Seems to me I suggested one of my hacks to somebody a while back about using spray paint on the face, let it dry slightly and press it in to eyeball the contact patch. If that’s what you did then good luck with that!
:smirk:

I took the advice of my local motorcycle shop mechanic and lapped the valves. I'm not super worried about it. I'll just go back in in ten hours and have a look, maybe re-do it then. I'm just not willing to spend any more money on it right now.
RMATV loves me.

PRAISE THE LORD. I have been sitting here since yesterday at 9:07pm, worried sick you had just slapped them in on the old seats.-BIGDAN:thumb:
Really?
I was told by another user on TT that I just ruined my new valves.
And it actually says in the manual not to lap them.

SRAD97750

Staff member
No one was going to convince you otherwise. I would never have done it, but I'm not you.
Sure, the new valves are no longer new. It's not ideal, and will work out the valves much faster than last time, but it's way better than doing nothing.
A good lapping session should get you by for at least a little while. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I always found it hard to believe that a simple lapping by hand of the valves destroys a coating, that is not otherwise destroyed by the constant heat and beating those valves are taking. I’m not going to argue with the experts but it just seems strange.