125 2001 YZ125

Update on the 125 -
Got the cylinder back from re-plate, installed with new ProX piston. She's nice and tight.
I have new a fork rebuild kit, with new fork protector guides, and new graphics.
2 new tires, tubes, rim strips, rim-locks.
I still need to hit he 'send' button on my RMATV account to get the new reeds, kill-switch, and radiator guards. Probably do that this weekend, just trying not to forget anything.
New grips, seat cover, gaskets, oil, etc.
Carb is still in the dip tank but will come out tonight and get new parts. Do you guys lube the slide?

Is the rustoleum bbq grill paint any good for expansion pipes?
View attachment 31719

No, on the slide oil. Got this custom of rinsing the two strokes off in premix, and usually just a solvent rinse on the 4 strokes. All the lube and dust collecting fluids they get on my rigs.

Premix, I shoulda thought of that.
I was hoping to have this thing fired up last weekend, but then after I got the carb out from the tank, rinsed and blew it all off nice and pretty, I found that I was missing the float pin.
Several hundred dollars+ later it'll be here tomorrow, along with everything I need to get this one and the 90 running. Actually 90 runs, just needs all the new parts put on it.

Also - where does a guy get rebuild parts for the shock when OE isnt available?

Last edited:
What parts are you looking for for the shock?

I just gave mine to Enzo, and 145 bucks later had a completely rebuilt shock with new stopper and all internals.

What parts are you looking for for the shock?
I dont know, seals I guess. What else goes bad?
145 is too much. Especially if all they need is seals.
Keep in mind all my bikes were bought for around 145 bucks so...lol.

Bladder, seals, piston, stopper, and a charging unit for the gas.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3531/39529/Pivot-Works-Shock-Rebuild-Kit?v=2001-YAMAHA-YZ125
When you look at the price of the aftermarket kits, and needing to have it filled, the 145 is cheaper chicken.

I dont know, seals I guess. What else goes bad?
145 is too much. Especially if all they need is seals.
Keep in mind all my bikes were bought for around 145 bucks so...lol.
Bladder, seals, piston, stopper, and a charging unit for the gas.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3531/39529/Pivot-Works-Shock-Rebuild-Kit?v=2001-YAMAHA-YZ125
When you look at the price of the aftermarket kits, and needing to have it filled, the 145 is cheaper chicken.

I always send the shock out.
Fork seals I do myself.
Bearings and bushings I do myself.
Initially my suspension goes to Factory Connection for springs, shims etc etc.
after that the shock goes to a local shop for its service.

2 questions -

1 - what does 145 dollars typically get you? Will you absolutely get a rebuilt shock, or are only the parts that are bad replaced? I might be able to justify that price for the 01, but not for the 90 I dont think. Unless it rips. Which will hopefully be determined this weekend.

2 - If I take my fork guards to the parts washer, will the new decals stick on afterwards?

2 questions -

1 - what does 145 dollars typically get you? Will you absolutely get a rebuilt shock, or are only the parts that are bad replaced? I might be able to justify that price for the 01, but not for the 90 I dont think. Unless it rips. Which will hopefully be determined this weekend. Fully rebuilt with all internals, exterior bumper, and gas. Might cost you more, because I am on a "Dealer" price schedule.

2 - If I take my fork guards to the parts washer, will the new decals stick on afterwards? No, you will need to wash them real good in brake clean, or rubbing alcohol to clean off the oily residue from the cleaning solvent of the parts washer. You could throw them in the dishwasher after you clean, but only on the top rack.

Okay, so where does one acquire all the internals for a shock re-build?
I spent 3 years working as a forklift technician, I can certainly rebuild a dirtbike shock.

I dont know why i didn't think of this. I would have added it to the order I just received. But thats cool, I'm sure I can spend enough to get free shipping again.

Got the shock taken care of, parts ordered.
At this point all I need to do is oil the air filter, add some gas, and fire it up. But I want to address the not entirely necessary things that I skipped until now.

Like radiators.

Anyone got any decent info on radiators? Aftermarket, or possibly repairing them?
I can get a set on eBay for $80.00 delivered, but they're made in China. Lots of different ones available that all look the same for that price.
A new OE set is $270.