125 2001 YZ125

Didn't see your mention of the Athena What I have is a complete top end less Reed box. It started life as an Athena 125 and was oversized by Eric Gorr with his idea on improved porting. You just have to grind a little of the step off of the front of the case to clear the Piston skirt.

Okay, back again.
After the wrist recovery and not working in November, and all the other BS that became my life these past few months, I have finally gotten back to this bike.
So the update is that I sent the cylinder to US Chrome (Sorry @PALMER84ONE, I was gonna use your guy but I couldn't pass up the price), and it's done, should be here next week.

So my question now is this;
What are the benefits to having US Chrome supply me with a piston?
I haven't decided on a piston yet (other than NOT Wiseco), but was sorta leaning toward going OE. I haven't priced them yet, but if I order through an outfit like RMATV or other, it assures free shipping.

And if I order OE, and US Chrome returns the cylinder to OE spec...then it's all good right?
Or no?

Also - Same question with my other post with the 89/90 YZ125 project I have going - Reeds?
Any one better than another?

Last edited:
Don't be sorry, it's a sign of weakness. Hope it was under 154.00. Make sure they relieved the exhaust bridge, should have had them know what piston you had or were using. I would just "suck it up" and pay for the one they have. This insures the bore. You may need to adjust the ring, I did on the 01-125 I am building. Almost done with it, this weekend I suppose.
Nothing wrong with Wisesco pistons, I have used them but prefer the Vertex. So, OEM is probably out of the question because they don't stock it. Your choices are their brands. Hopefuly they carry a selection. In addition to and very inportant to all this, the piston must have two oil holes on exhaust side located where it rides on the bridge.
Last I checked USChrome, they sent their cylinders out to a third party, and only pressed sleeves at their shop.
So for pistons my choices from best to lest:
OEM
Vertex
ProX
Athena
Wiseco
Wossner
Even a Moose Racing as they are stamped ART.
And never Namura.

Last edited:
I dont know if you remember that CR250 engine I was rebuilding for the cable guy, well, he got a Wiseco crank kit from RMATV and it was bent when it arrived. Hit the casing when spun by hand. At first I thought, nah, it must be the bearings, so we got another set and threw them in, same thing. Put in the old crank, and she's out ripping it up right now. I told myself not to use Wiseco after that.
So ProX it is!
Gonna cost the same as a stocker anyway.

Don't be sorry, it's a sign of weakness. Hope it was under 154.00. Make sure they relieved the exhaust bridge, should have had them know what piston you had or were using. I would just "suck it up" and pay for the one they have. This insures the bore. You may need to adjust the ring, I did on the 01-125 I am building. Almost done with it, this weekend I suppose.
Nothing wrong with Wisesco pistons, I have used them but prefer the Vertex. So, OEM is probably out of the question because they don't stock it. Your choices are their brands. Hopefuly they carry a selection. In addition to and very inportant to all this, the piston must have two oil holes on exhaust side located where it rides on the bridge.
Last I checked USChrome, they sent their cylinders out to a third party, and only pressed sleeves at their shop.
So for pistons my choices from best to lest:
OEM
Vertex
ProX
Athena
Wiseco
Wossner
Even a Moose Racing as they are stamped ART.
And never Namura.

I'm with ya on the Namura pistons, funny thing though is on some other forums, there are people who will back Namura all the way. Guess they like Pistons grenadine in the cylinder after 40 hours of trail riding.