125 2001 YZ125

@PALMER84ONE - Thanks so much for the pipe and the footpeg! Next time we're doing lunch :thumb:.

So looking for an inexpensive route to get this YZ up and running - I wanna ride it.
Needs a cylinder, and piston.
it was an athena 125 cylinder to start with. I have another of those just like that I ran.
I would run a used top end from one of you guys here if you say it's good.
Still waiting for M33 to chime in with those certified awesome parts too...

Right now it's starting to look like I'm limited to;
- New Athena cylinder, which requires the use of their head, PV, etc. $550.00???
- OE piston, pin, clips, bearing, rings $140.00
- repair current cylinder $300.00ish
- sleeve $unknown
- eBay used cylinder with PV, says its in nice condition $350.00

The cylinder and head changed in 01.
I believe the 01-03's are the same.

Last edited:
Yamahasportsplaza.com has a
new oem cyl for the '03 $320 and piston pin ring etc for about $90
Thanks for the link 2Wheels!

But this thing just got back-burnered. I just added up the cost to get her track worthy, and its $950 minimum. That includes tires, oil, cylinder, piston, fork seals, everything but the bottom end.
I can get my KXF finished for half that, so off to the storage shed she goes.

@PALMER84ONE - Thanks so much for the pipe and the footpeg! Next time we're doing lunch :thumb:.

So looking for an inexpensive route to get this YZ up and running - I wanna ride it.

- New Athena cylinder, which requires the use of their head, PV, etc. $550.00???
- sleeve $unknown

If it were me I would send the cylinder out to be replated.
Wiseco piston and rings for me as well. Oem gaskets. I imagine you are gambling with the crank assembly on this one. I would rebuild that too but that’s just my personal preference. With so much iron laying around I would also complete one before starting another a new project (says the guy with 3 vintage MX bikes in a he shed half built).

- sleeve $unknown

Actually, 01-04 are the same. Strip the head and next time I see you, hand it over and I'll get it welded, honed, and re-plated for around 245. :thumb:
With new being 320, I can save you a little squish. But yah, like I said,that sleave wore out and the piston started hitting the PV tips. If you didn't get the piston with it, it was probably in pieces.

In the search for a seat I have come across what is below-
In the first pic below, the one on the left is a seat that is available locally - https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mpo/d/yamaha-seat-yz/6383083783.html.
Dude claims it is off a 97. Imprinted numbers on the bottom are 5BF-00
The one on the right is the seat that flew off the bike, and was never found.
YZ125 Seats.jpg
The last pic is the bike now, minus the fuel tank (it flew off too). It has an IMS tank now, but it's not pictured.
yz125.JPG
What do y'all think are the chances the seat will fit the bike in the lower photo?

Last edited:
In the search for a seat I have come across what is below-
In the first pic below, the one on the left is a seat that is available locally - https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mpo/d/yamaha-seat-yz/6383083783.html.
Dude claims it is off a 97. Imprinted numbers on the bottom are 5BF-00
The one on the right is the seat that flew off the bike, and was never found.
View attachment 31294
The last pic is the bike now, minus the fuel tank (it flew off too). It has an IMS tank now, but it's not pictured.
View attachment 31295
What do y'all think are the chances the seat will fit the bike in the lower photo?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/231764897261

Also, I dont know if the 02 up seat cover is correct, but I have one or so in the garage in prescott. You'll need to come get it when I get back to the pad if you want. Hoping to be there Wed- to the 2nd.

Right on.
Maybe I'll drop off a couple YZ cylinders with you at the same time. We removed the one from the 250 couple days ago and found that the big end bearing had some play in it, so it's down for rebuild.

So, the 125 is starting to look pretty good right now-
The bottom end is tight(er), and with the seat coming, and the Clarke fuel tank, throw a nice new piston and top-end, a fork rebuild, a gas cap, some tires and she'd prolly go :rocker:.
Plus I just rode one at the track a couple weeks ago and it was a shit-ton of fun! Had a different neck angle...

I'm sending off the YZ85 jug with a new piston tomorrow. Crank works has 4 cranks and 2 rods to work with, and I told them to keep the rest or toss them (I just want 1 of each back). I had 8 OEM cranks laying here and figured 4 fit it a flat rate 18 dollar box with 2 new proX rod kits so why not have a good unit on the shelf. Well, that will actually make 4 good units as I have a new 01-02 HotRod, and new 03 up OEM all ready. Was the bold letters supposed to get my attention? :whistle: