Other 1999 WR400F

It took a little longer than expected to get out into the garage again but I think I know why it stopped shifting...

1st - it shifts into all the gears at the drum with the rear wheel spinning. I do have to spin the other shaft a bit up around 3rd or 4th gear otherwise it'll get stuck in the middle, but I assume this is normal???

2 - I reinstalled the shift lever and guide and I noticed it still wouldn't spin the drum, so I removed again and did a real close inspection of that set of pieces and found that the shift plate has a wallered out hole in it (see below), the shift pawls have a very slight twist in them and there are some light nicks on the shift lever.
View attachment 31612

Looks like a decent one to me.

Looks like a decent one to me.
If you're speaking about the plate with the "wallered out" hole, yes, you are right. The new one came in, and its hole is wallered out as well. Which is what is leading me to think that the new parts I have aren't gonna fix the problem. Did you view the video?

So if I go with the 'run-it' consensus, that would essentially mean that
Sounds like a bent shifter hitting the stator cover.
was right, and I tore this thing down for nothing.
I have a hard time believing that I was stupid enough to overlook something that simple, but I cant say it hasn't happened before.
So here's what I'm gonna do;
Ima put in the new parts, and install the shifter arm and lever, and take another video running it through the gears again.
I would love for it to not be a bad fork, but my gut is still telling me it is.
I'll be back shortly...

From a ex Yamaha R&D guy I've talked to, the transmissions in the 4 pokes are very weak, and they had to give up starting them in gear on the dyno because they tended to explode. Personally, my '07 has gone through 2 transmissions. The 4th to 5th fork bends slightly, and doesn't travel the gear far enough, taking out the cogs. That is a $800 parts rebuild. Not to give you bad juju, just sayin'.

From a ex Yamaha R&D guy I've talked to, the transmissions in the 4 pokes are very weak, and they had to give up starting them in gear on the dyno because they tended to explode. Personally, my '07 has gone through 2 transmissions. The 4th to 5th fork bends slightly, and doesn't travel the gear far enough, taking out the cogs. That is a $800 parts rebuild. Not to give you bad juju, just sayin'.

I have often wondered how it held up so well considering it is really just the same and as the 250 two stroke and gets "hit" much harder than the two stroke ever would on each successive power stroke. in this case, ones would a heavier flywheel get the extra hit when changing gears.

I am not convinced any of that has anything to do with shift forks, other than the natural reaction of the gears themselves trying to separate dog from socket under force. In the higher gears where the gears are closer to the same size and torque amplification at it's smallest you would think the separation forces would be at their weakest as well. (ever notice they don't place the lower range gearsets in the center of the shafts?) But the force goes somewhere, and bent forks have always shown up more by popping in and out in the middle ranges for me. On the 5 speed yamahas and Honda 4 strokes I have had, it has been 3rd gear that pops in and out the most, as they age.

Last edited:
I have often wondered how it held up so well considering it is really just the same and as the 250 two stroke and gets "hit" much harder than the two stroke ever would on each successive power stroke. in this case, ones would a heavier flywheel get the extra hit when changing gears.

I am not convinced any of that has anything to do with shift forks, other than the natural reaction of the gears themselves trying to separate dog from socket under force. In the higher gears where the gears are closer to the same size and torque amplification at it's smallest you would think the separation forces would be at their weakest as well. (ever notice they don't place the lower range gearsets in the center of the shafts?) But the force goes somewhere, and bent forks have always shown up more by popping in and out in the middle ranges for me. On the 5 speed yamahas and Honda 4 strokes I have had, it has been 3rd gear that pops in and out the most, as they age.
I was in 3rd when I crashed. And to be honest, I had been taking this thing to the track and treating it poorly, meaning I only use the clutch when I start out, so I wont be surprised if I bent a fork. I'm an aggressive rider/driver and tend to beat the shit out of all my vehicles (and my body).

I have never been called conservative, and like you I just use the clutch to keep it from stalling. If you learn not to rev an engine to the point it is losing power the clutchless shifts are no harder than a clutched shift all else being equal. I have transmissions as old as you are that still work fine. Did you run that one yet?

I have never been called conservative, and like you I just use the clutch to keep it from stalling. If you learn not to rev an engine to the point it is losing power the clutchless shifts are no harder than a clutched shift all else being equal. I have transmissions as old as you are that still work fine. Did you run that one yet?
Not yet. I'm getting lazy in my old age. Plus it's getting warmer now.
But I'll have the kiddo help me when he gets here on Wed.

Okay, I got it figured out. Decided to not wait for the kiddo.
We're all right, and we're all wrong, and I'm not as much of as an idiot as I was thinking I was, only to find out that I'm an even bigger idiot!
I'll be back shortly...

Okay, I got it figured out. Decided to not wait for the kiddo.
We're all right, and we're all wrong, and I'm not as much of as an idiot as I was thinking I was, only to find out that I'm an even bigger idiot!
I'll be back shortly...

One of 2 things happened here. Either he needs stitches or he is trying to have a conversation with someone on the suicide hotline with a gun barrel in his mouth....

Thats funny. I'm just being a wishy-washy biotch right now. I'm out in the shop, got all the new parts installed, goes through the gears like it did in the video, thought I had it figured out, determined/thought it was a bent shifter arm (not hitting the stator cover) but hitting the protective plastic cover for the front sprocket (which is now gone). Took the arm, threw it in a vice, gave it a few quick whacks in the general opposite direction, put in place lower than I think it was beforehand, and now I'm getting it stuck in between gears again, but then found out the shifter doohickey was off the other doohickey thingy, and that I need 3 arms.
So now I'm waiting for my neighbor to come over...

Last edited: