Other 1999 WR400F

Looks like part of the filter fell apart.
Thats what I'm thinking it is too. I have the old filter and it looks like it might be a part of it...but I'm a bit concerned about this cuz I didn't put it back in. I'll be doing some research here.

But what about the clutch?

Soft and mushy handle. Doesn't feel like it grabs until about 1/2-way through the stroke. Feels like the 89 yz125 clutch, that has been sitting for a year, which is leading me to think that the clutch discs might be dry in both of them.

I was hoping one of you guys would chime in and say, yeah, thats normal, fill the trans fluid...

Did you measure the fibers and springs to be within spec? Also check plates for warpage. Most are around 2.9-3.1mm or 0.114-0.122inch for thickness. Anything thinner, it's done. Wouldn't hurt to lay them in oil for a day or two if the bike has been sitting for a long time.

Did you measure the fibers and springs to be within spec? Also check plates for warpage. Most are around 2.9-3.1mm or 0.114-0.122inch for thickness. Anything thinner, it's done. Wouldn't hurt to lay them in oil for a day or two if the bike has been sitting for a long time.

Especially if you wiped them down or used parts cleaner.

So now that the kids 125 is ready to ride it was time to come back to this.
I think I cross posted this in the wrong thread, but after I got it all back together I went to pull in the clutch and it was all mushy.
So today I pulled the cover to inspect, and when pulling the clutch handle it barely moved the shaft. Then I found this;
100_3311r.JPG

Last edited:
I am amazed at the cheapness of cables now a days, throttle and clutch included. It seems like throttle cables only last a couple of years before they start losing strands.

Rant this thread out too! I never get the kids these days with the abbreviations, or acronyms or whatever they are FML. Back in the day when we used to have to pay per character when texting it was a matter of economics FTW. Today I just think it’s laziness, or perhaps a need for speed in getting the text sent before the GDSF teacher catches you on it.

Rant this thread out too! I never get the kids these days with the abbreviations, or acronyms or whatever they are FML. Back in the day when we used to have to pay per character when texting it was a matter of economics FTW. Today I just think it’s laziness, or perhaps a need for speed in getting the text sent before the GDSF teacher catches you on it.

I would rather use the acronym than use the cuss word. So go FUCK yourself, I'm 56. :P

New clutch cable makes my mushy lever issue all good again.
Tomorrow I'll button her up and see if my transmission shifting problem goes away too.