Other 1999 WR400F

I think it's the wrong rotor.
I compared it to my 99 yz250 and it looks like the same setup.
Then I measured the distance from the edge of the rotor on the yz to the center of the nearest mounting bolt and it's longer than the WR, about the same amount that it looks like it's riding high.

no, the pad material should be in full contact with the rotor.
It is possible someone installed a oversized rotor kit at one time which entailed moving the caliper up a bit and the oversized disc was removed.

Whatever happened, it's the wrong rotor.
I checked the OEM part numbers and they're the same for 125's, 250's, and 400's from 99 to 01.
This rotor is smaller in diameter than my yz.
But I can see why whoever installed this didn't install a new OEM rotor, they want $120.00 for one!
I made an offer for one on eBay for $15.00. I doubt he'll sell it for that amount since he's asking $35.00, but it least I know it wont be more than $35.00.

Whatever happened, it's the wrong rotor.
I checked the OEM part numbers and they're the same for 125's, 250's, and 400's from 99 to 01.
This rotor is smaller in diameter than my yz.
But I can see why whoever installed this didn't install a new OEM rotor, they want $120.00 for one!
I made an offer for one on eBay for $15.00. I doubt he'll sell it for that amount since he's asking $35.00, but it least I know it wont be more than $35.00.
try rocky mountain for an aftermarket

It's used. And yes I'll be buying pads too. They'll be new.
I generally like new parts as well, but it's just a rear rotor. If it was a front I would have bought new.
I cant count how many times I've put new pads on the front of a car without turning the rotors or installing new ones and have never had an issue. And since I'm not racing, I cant see why this should be any different.

too warped is the term you are looking for.
I used to hang with a modified driver back in the day.
He had an older 1-ton Chev dually that he used to haul his race car around with. He would spend all his money on that race car, and to hell with the hauler.
I remember one night driving to the track thinking there was no way those rotors we're gonna make it. We we're going down this hill, race car in tow, and when he hit the front brakes the front of that truck shook like no other vehicle I have ever been in, ever to this day. I thought for sure we were gonna die, the rotors were that warped.
But they held together for I dont know how many more trips like that afterwards...
And he looked a bit like the guy above too :lol: