Other 1978 DT 175 Build Thread

Best of luck!

:salute:[/QUOTE]
Thanks Rack! I'm not near gone yet, but schools been crazy preoccupying. I'll be sure to check in on my DBA brothers as much as I can :thumb: :salute:

The carburetor looks like it got some water in it at one point. I threw it in the parts wash tank and let it soak. This will be the last thing I work on, just let it soak and get all the rust and varnish out of it.

temporary_zps306a790a.jpg

So.... Yeah. I have another project I will start working on once the 175 is done.

1984 Yamaha YZ490 a.k.a The Widow Maker :smirk:

temporary_zps7de429dc.jpg

The crank is seized, but all in all its in great shape. My dad is really excited, this is the bike he had as a kid. Ill make a build thread later on this bad boy, only cost me $200 from some farm kid. Should be fun. I dont think im going to do a full restore, I might just get it running and keep it.

The frame, tank, and swing arm for the 175 is getting blasted this week, and im setting up my paint "booth". Should hopefully have the body work done by next week. I also ordered tires, sprockets, chain, tubes, bearings all around, brake shoes, and rim straps for it so I can put it all together and just have a rolling chassis. The shift forks on the tranny are frozen, but they should be free in a bit, a mechanic friend is working on it. Ill have pictures of the body work once everything is ready.

WOW!... I have a bit of money invested in this thing already. Looks like I might not be making it back on this one :doh:.

Anyone know what a 1978 DT175 will go for these days that has been fully restored? NADA says close to $4000 but I dont see that happening, probably more like $1000 if im lucky :banghead:

i think you are closer on your estimate. the big thing is not to be hastey in selling it and finding that one person that has been looking. usually it is a first bike thing when you talk about small trail bikes.

i think you are closer on your estimate. the big thing is not to be hastey in selling it and finding that one person that has been looking. usually it is a first bike thing when you talk about small trail bikes.

yeah, im going to put it up when im done and see if I get any bites. It needed more work than I thought so I already have over my estimate invested. If anything ill keep it and use it for years to come.

I got the tires, tubes, sprockets, chain, and brakes today. The tires are just a dual sport type, nothing too aggressive. Shinko 244 series. As far as the body work goes it is a week behind schedule. The guy blasting my parts is in the process of moving his shop this week.

temporary_zps4b861ae6.jpg

Everything is blasted and back in my garage. I primed and painted the frame and tank. The frame is black and the tank is yellow. I will have pictures later, Im at work right now and there are no pics on this computer.

Late comer here...did you ever finish this bike? Do you have any pics?

FYI: Around here I've seen these and similar listed at $1,800 (1978) & $2,200 (1980). I picked mine up for $550! in great shape but needing some cleaning & a few minor parts. Mine is a 'first bike thing'. My first was a 1978 DT175 bought as a holdover in 1979. I had a lot of fun with that thing!