Other 1978 DT 175 Build Thread

You guys think the hubs would look cool yellow? I have a lot of yellow enamel so im looking for stuff on it to paint yellow. The hubs yellow, the frame and swingarm black, the brake assemblies black, the wheels and spokes are chrome, the tank yellow, the seat black, the engine black, the side covers yellow, and the fenders white. See if you can imagine that by looking at the picture. Let me know what you think.

Actually I would leave the wheels and hubs alone. Just polish them out. Now if you wanted to add color to the wheels you could always get the spoke socks and do them in yellow. But thats my only input. Otherwise its your bike you do what you please.

Actually I would leave the wheels and hubs alone. Just polish them out. Now if you wanted to add color to the wheels you could always get the spoke socks and do them in yellow. But thats my only input. Otherwise its your bike you do what you please.

The hubs are black now, I have black paint as well but thats going to be used to do the frame and everything else. I will have a lot of yellow left over after I do just the tank, looking for something to use it on.

Well if you could leave the hubs black that would be cool to. Exactly what are you looking for? Restoration, reliable trail bike, or something a little custom? Or maybe some of each. I look at it this way if you would really need to stip all the black paint off those hubs for the yellow paint to be worth while. Plus you'll likely want to prime them to make that yellow paint stick good. Thats why I suggested the polished look. Or scuff up the existing black and do a spray over. Its your project. But I know your asking for input. So Im giving it to you.

Well if you could leave the hubs black that would be cool to. Exactly what are you looking for? Restoration, reliable trail bike, or something a little custom? Or maybe some of each. I look at it this way if you would really need to stip all the black paint off those hubs for the yellow paint to be worth while. Plus you'll likely want to prime them to make that yellow paint stick good. Thats why I suggested the polished look. Or scuff up the existing black and do a spray over. Its your project. But I know your asking for input. So Im giving it to you.

I may just leave them black to, the yellow is a little brighter so it might look funny, im going for a custom restoration. A full restore would be the red bike, but I like yellow. Im going to blast everything before I paint so that should give it a nice clean surface to stick to.

Here is the transmission side of the crank, everything is in good shape and there is no need to replace. The other side is in good shape as well, just in the parts wash tank for a good soaking.

temporary_zps1ed9cd3d.jpg

I have good news to, the guy who split the case said he would also bore the cylinder and wiseco makes an oversized piston that will take it from a 175 to a 190. Im definitely going to bore it and make it a strong trail bike.

You will have to recalculate the jetting with some guess work. Your chart will be off if you over bore it. Remember the bigger cylinder will require more fuel to get the correct combustion.

You will have to recalculate the jetting with some guess work. Your chart will be off if you over bore it. Remember the bigger cylinder will require more fuel to get the correct combustion.

Yeah, I think im just going to bore it to the 180 kit, that way I dont have to do anything to the head, or just leave it alone. I dont know yet, it all depends on what my wallet says at the time.

Depending on the condition of the cylinder (inside) It might be worth it to just have it re-sleeved to the 175. Or replated. Im assuming that because of the age of the bike it has a steel sleeve and not a nikasil plating.:noidea:

its steel. There is a small rust spot on the cylinder wall that is a little pitted. I will have to bore it to get rid of it. I will have to go with the 180 kit to get rid of it completely, I dont know it the 176 would be enough to cover it.

I got a bit of work done today on it. I stripped it down to the frame, put apple cider vinegar in the tank to get rid of the rust, and dismounted the tires. Everything is looking good, should be able to use most of the original parts. I found a guy in the next town over that has 10 of these things lying around so he said to come on over and strip of any parts I need, he has the 125s to so I should be able to get the yellow plastics I need.

temporary_zpsf5eae734.jpg

temporary_zps43d03c25.jpg

Poor mans rust remover :smirk:. Let it sit for a few days and it should be rust free for the most part. I forgot the before picture :banghead:

temporary_zpse3b6137c.jpg