Other 1978 DT 175 Build Thread

Engine parts wont be here for a while, the connecting rod is on back order of course so its going to be the longest. The rest of the parts should hopefully be here next week. and then I get to bore the cylinder and install a new clutch and a rebuilt crank.

SRAD97750

Staff member
They come completely apart, I just did my 81 IT175 last weekend.
Have you got the allen bolt loose on the bottom of the fork? Sometimes the spring must be re-installed to hold the inners.
I had to build a special tool to hold my inners from spinning while taking it loose, then they just fall apart.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

They come completely apart, I just did my 81 IT175 last weekend.
Have you got the allen bolt loose on the bottom of the fork? Sometimes the spring must be re-installed to hold the inners.
I had to build a special tool to hold my inners from spinning while taking it loose, then they just fall apart.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Im on it, ill get it done tonight. Thanks for the reply, ill let you know how it goes... and I use the triple clamp to hold everything

SRAD97750

Staff member
Im on it, ill get it done tonight. Thanks for the reply, ill let you know how it goes... and I use the triple clamp to hold everything
Typically, this bolt just pops right out, but otherwise... this bolt threads into an internal tube that is held only by the tension of the spring. The triple clamp will not help you. Sometimes it will just spin and spin. I use a wooden broomhandle sometimes to jam the spinning tube while whacking the bolt with the impact gun. Good luck. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Typically, this bolt just pops right out, but otherwise... this bolt threads into an internal tube that is held only by the tension of the spring. The triple clamp will not help you. Sometimes it will just spin and spin. I use a wooden broomhandle sometimes to jam the spinning tube while whacking the bolt with the impact gun. Good luck. -BIG DAN:thumb:
Air impacts, FTW!

I have all of the engine parts now, except for the connecting rod. Not sure if anyone is familiar with engine rebuilds... but its kind of an important piece :smirk: . On backorder until mid january :thumbsdown::cry:

Great project Johny! Looking forward to keeping updated. :thumb:

Thanks! Its cold as... As cold as... Well something that's very very cold out right now :smirk: so I won't get to blast any of the parts until it warms up. I still have to blast the frame, the tank, and the swing arm, then paint them all. Rebuild the motor and mount some good tires on it, plus finish all the electrical and controls, and the old girl will be back in the game.

Still have a lot of work, but its fun so far.

I haven't had a chance to work on the forks since last time, but I should be able to this weekend.

i am JELLY....my first bike in high school was a blue 78 DT175......bought it new for 800$ ......the best mods you can do is take out that ridge in the air box behind the air filter....and i used a KN filter ( bet they dont make em anymore for this bike ) and took off the air box lid and strapped that filter down with a metal strap......stock the air box REALLY kills flow !! I also ported the piston to match the cylinder ....those two mods i bet added 5hp......but bein the noob I was back then about jetting after increasing airflow as much as those mods I did....I blew a few pistons......the smallish carb ....24mm if I remember correctly....does not offer many choices in jets sizes other than main jets......had to get some new stock size pilot jets and drill them out to larger sizes.......the increase in HP made the tranny really close ratio......had to go to a really small rear sprocket to spread out the ratio again

the stock suspension really sucks.......I always wanted to get a mono shock out of a YZ to swap out to see if that would make it better

I would love to get another one but the prices I see on ebay are outrageous....2000$ for a 30 yr old bike....really????.......and parts are kinda in short supply

but the memories.....ahhhhh......rode that thing everywhere