93 RM250 Complete Rebuild

Today I got everything pulled off of the frame. Someone pained some red on it at one point. I think I'm going to go black on the plastics, red on the frame, and metallic black on the motor. For painting the frame I'm just going to hit It with multiple coats of primer multiple coats of red and multiple coats of clear. Same idea on the motor, but with 500 degree engine enamel. I'm leaving the wheels, swingarm, and everything else that's aluminum with just a brushed aluminum look. I am still waiting on my Cylinder and my Crank.

My garage is a mess with dirt bike parts...
Nice use of space in the garage, I'm afraid to paint my bike like that, I'm sure the paint would chip and scratch quickly, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

If it doesn't hold up too well I'll just get it powder coated, or bedline it, maybe even use some POR15. I figure as long as I give it a good prep and take my time it should turn out decent. Considering I have maybe 3 rides in all on a dirtbike and they all had half or less the power of the RM250, I just know I'm going to lay the bike down and tear up my paint and plastics. So maybe I will hold off for a while, I will just clean everything up best as I can and see how it turns out.

If it doesn't hold up too well I'll just get it powder coated, or bedline it, maybe even use some POR15. I figure as long as I give it a good prep and take my time it should turn out decent. Considering I have maybe 3 rides in all on a dirtbike and they all had half or less the power of the RM250, I just know I'm going to lay the bike down and tear up my paint and plastics. So maybe I will hold off for a while, I will just clean everything up best as I can and see how it turns out.
That's how you learn....go for it and see how it turns out....and oh yeah, you'll crash a lot, but that's learning too.

I guess I'll paint it and if it doesn't do too good I'll just bediner over it. Yeah I crashed the first time I rode the bike haha. Makes good stories later though!

I guess I'll paint it and if it doesn't do too good I'll just bediner over it. Yeah I crashed the first time I rode the bike haha. Makes good stories later though!
I keep threatening to do a rebuild like that to my 05' but think I would go with stock color scheme. Except the possibly of going with black paint for the frame, instead of that silver/grey color. But other than the motor, every thing else is worn out. I'd love to freshen her up. Maybe this will be the straw that inspires me to rebuild my Zook.

Yeah all this forum needs is another Zook rebuild! Powder coating really doesn't break the bank. If you want black, but are afraid of chipping , I would go ahead and powder coat it!

Yeah all this forum needs is another Zook rebuild! Powder coating really doesn't break the bank. If you want black, but are afraid of chipping , I would go ahead and powder coat it!
Whatever happens won't be till winter when the bikes are in hibernation. Then it's just a mater of time and money.if not I may just get the suspension done which is the top priority.

Yeah I think you should do a "How To Suspension"

"How to properly set up suspension"
1: remove front forks and drain oil.
2: remove rear shock. Be sure to wrap upper and lower shock bearings in tape.
3:wrap suspension in bubble wrap, box and then promptly send to Factory Connection.
4: pay bill and install properly and ride the wheels off of it.

FC is a plug and play set up.
Doesn't have to be FC tho. That's just who I use.

3:wrap suspension in bubble wrap, box and then promptly send to Factory Connection.

I'd be happy to do it this way. Send me a seed to the money tree in your garden? I'll pay postage! :wink:

^^^ This times eleventeen hundred :prof: That's the way you do it for your own bike. Now, here's a great trick (and cash saving) when your kid says, "Dad, my suspension sucks arse through the whoops." Put
his bike up on a stand, grab a stiff Rum 'N Coke and a flathead screw driver - pretend you are fiddling with rebound, compression and so on and so forth - once you finish your beverage, come out and proclaim, "This suspension is gonna kick arse!" Your kid rides the bike and says, "the bike is absolutely bitching! Dad, you're a suspension Guru!" Fix yourself another Rum 'N Coke and put your feet up. :lol:

^^^ This times eleventeen hundred :prof: That's the way you do it for your own bike. Now, here's a great trick (and cash saving) when your kid says, "Dad, my suspension sucks arse through the whoops." Put
his bike up on a stand, grab a stiff Rum 'N Coke and a flathead screw driver - pretend you are fiddling with rebound, compression and so on and so forth - once you finish your beverage, come out and proclaim, "This suspension is gonna kick arse!" Your kid rides the bike and says, "the bike is absolutely bitching! Dad, you're a suspension Guru!" Fix yourself another Rum 'N Coke and put your feet up. :lol:

Exactly what I do when my friends stereos sound fine, but they say something is wrong. Act like I adjust everything, then have them take a listen. They say it sounds amazing even though I touched nothing:lol:

Started installing my triple tree (think that's what it's called) and my forks after painting my frame. In the picture it shows the fork height relative to the clamp. Is it about where it should be? I was not paying attention when I took it apart. Also got my radiator painted, and fins cleaned up. The only thing left to be cleaned and greased is my front wheel and bearings. I'm really liking the black frame contrast with the forks. I'm going to buy a Specbolt kit for the bike so I have mostly new bolts. I have not received any word on my cylinder, I need to check if it was delivered. Crank should be done here pretty soon!

20140723_224653.jpg

20140724_001302.jpg

20140723_235730.jpg