93 RM250 Complete Rebuild

I think lots of people set them by the length of the pin. they press until it is flush and never check anything else. most manuals show someone with the feeler gauges in place as you press together. if you true it in a lathe they almost seem to grow together though, so check to make sure they don't tighten up. it is hard to believe you can over tighten the center and cause flex, but you can. the longer the stroke, the more likely that is to happen. you turn the crank over and the halves can flex and move. probably happens on cranks that have been apart a few times. i have seen shops press them back and forth a few times, or in the worst cases you can see where they just used a push pin and shoved the pin through both sides either to part them or to put them back together and that makes the sides loose in many cases.

do a few and you will be good to go on anything other than the honda "sheet metal" cranks. initial lining them up looked like a man who traded a violin for a crankshaft.

Little late on the photos, but all came out well in the end (I think) I haven't ran it yet. I had to do everything 2-3 times because I forgot parts or steps lol. Just need to tighten all the motor mounts down, get some antifreeze, transmission fluid, sparkplug, and mix up some gas. Did some reading on break in and too much premix can cause glazing of the cylinder supposedly. So 32:1 should be good right?

20150128_212314.jpg

20150130_173226.jpg

20150131_003745.jpg

Ran in to a problem, when I spin my rear tire in gear and the motor turns over I can hear the kickstart ratchet. Is this normal or did I install the kickstart mechanism wrong?

Sounds like something's wrong to me......does it sound like the when you leave the kick starter down by the footpeg when it's running kinda noise? Is the kickstarter moving at all when you hear this?

It sounds just like when you kick the bike over and the kick start ratchets back. As I spin the tire as if the bike was rolling forward the kick start moves a little but just ratchets. If I i spin the tire as if i was backing up it catches and moves the kickstart. In neutral it is fine. Kicking the bike over as if I was trying to start It operates smooth and normal. This is all with the sparkplug out

It sounds just like when you kick the bike over and the kick start ratchets back. As I spin the tire as if the bike was rolling forward the kick start moves a little but just ratchets. If I i spin the tire as if i was backing up it catches and moves the kickstart. In neutral it is fine. Kicking the bike over as if I was trying to start It operates smooth and normal. This is all with the sparkplug out

Well you gotta take it back apart at least to the outer cover.....then do the same thing again, hopefully you can see then what's interfering there and get it squared away, at least that's what I'd do.