Yz 125 shock is stiff

My chain slack is perfect so that is out of the question. But I'm not sure what the suspension bearings are. Can someone fill me in on this? Oh and I didn't drop any sockets or anything :smirk:

So I can't figure out what's wrong and I plan on taking it to a dealership. How much do you think it will cost max to get it fixed, depending on what is wrong with it

first thing i would do is strip it down to where I could see if anything is binding, maybe get some help from someone to weight and unweight the bike while you watch and see if you can see something binding.

Next would be to remove the spring and see how it moves through the stroke of the suspensions. You would probably be able to see and feel what is holding it.

Did you ever get a manual for it>?

No dealers.:naughty: At least get it in the air, take off the seat and tank, then unbolt the shock and see if the swing arm travels up and down smoothly. That should tell you if it's the suspension bearings or not. If it's either way, get a manual, and plan on breaking it all the way down, to inspect and grease all the rear bearings anyway.

You're welcome for this informative and entertaining post!:prof: (I miss Nedge too:canada:)

Edit: Sorry ossa, didn't read all the way down, looks like you've got it covered.

Last edited:
You're wasting your time and money by not taking it apart.
For around $20 you can get a shop manual off eBay (Yamaha service manual is best) and that will help you disassemble the linkages and look for bad bearings. IMHO it is one of the bearings or linkages binding.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time any of your suspension bearings were greased? If the answer is IDK, do like Mikey says and get a manual, and get used to stripping down and doing your suspension at least once a year.