What size Genny

Hey guys, what size Genny would I need to run my camper stuff like A/C, Microwave and other what ever stuff I can't think of when no 110 is available. I know my fridge and heat run off gas and my slide out, water pump and some lights run off 12v but not sure about the water heater I have never used it. Any way I am thinking of getting one and don't want to waste $$ and get one too small. I have a 30' Coachman Catalina if that makes any difference.

a 2000 size and smaller will run everything but the micro and AC. So its got to be bigger than a 2000. Ive got 4 batteries and my 1000 would not pull the load from the built in charger if the batteries were too low so I sold it and got a 2000. Everything is good now. I have a built in gen for the AC and micro and use the 2000 for charging at nite and let it quietly idle away. The 3000=3500 sizes work real nice for a do-it-all size. The Yamaha for instance has a remote start feature too. For built in you need a ONAN in 2300 or larger, 4000 is nice for them. My 2300 works my AC and micro.

Good stuff Mike. You need at least a 3500 watt gen for a regular AC unit or microwave on an RV. If you can live without these a 1800-2000 watt gen will suffice for the other stuff.:prof:

okay great, also looking at buying used since I am broke as hell, so is there anything to look out for on a used genny besides the obvious wear and operation. I have never used one so not sure if there are any tale tale signs to avoid. What would also be a good starting price, $250-$400 range on a used one???

Good advice above Fellers :thumb: I have an onboard 4000 Onan which runs everything just fine. I also carry a 3500 W in the trailer which runs everything as well. Just note that start up for some of your appliances takes quite a load - coffee machines, microwaves and hair dryers for example. You certainly don't need this type of on demand power, unless of course, you like to bring your DJ'ing stuff with you and bust out a post-race dance-a-thon like I do.....:smirk:

what do you yall think about one like this, is this over kill?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/2171043625.html
It must a be a "construction type" gen which means it will be loud (not sure if you care), and being it's a 5500 watter, it will be heavy also. Check to see how easy it is to move around, is it on wheels for example? Can one person move it, etc. Good luck.

BTW, I have an Onan 5500 on my motorhome. Nice genny, but spensive to buy new.

Here is what it was Egde,

Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt Portable Generator - $420
Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder - 5500 watts and 8250 starting watts. This generator is in good working order. It has been used a few times. It comes with a 25ft adapter cord and original owners manual. This is listed at about $799 retail and I'm selling it for $420. - email or call 384-7531

Here are the published specs: You can read more on the Briggs & Stratton website.

Storm Ready. The ideal storm unit! Powered by a Briggs & Stratton 1450 Series™ OHV engine for long life, high performance and great fuel efficiency. A Power Surge™ alternator produces up to 50% surge wattage for all your home back-up power needs during a storm.

Key Features:

5500 running watts/8250 starting watts
Up to 10 hours run time at 50% load

Features
Power Surge™ Alternator

Produces up to 50% more surge wattage to start multiple motor-driven tools or appliances simultaneously.

5 Gallon Metal Fuel Tank

Provides up to 10 hour run time @ 50% load.

Multi-Featured Control Panel

4 - 120V Household Outlets 1 - 120/240V, 30A Locking Outlet Rubber Outlet Covers & Hour Meter.

10" Never Go Flat Wheels for easy mobility
3nd3oa3l65O45Y05Z2b1kb2e889fee022113b.jpg

Here is what it was Egde,

Briggs & Stratton 5500 watt Portable Generator - $420
Briggs and Stratton Storm Responder - 5500 watts and 8250 starting watts. This generator is in good working order. It has been used a few times. It comes with a 25ft adapter cord and original owners manual. This is listed at about $799 retail and I'm selling it for $420. - email or call 384-7531

Here are the published specs: You can read more on the Briggs & Stratton website.

Storm Ready. The ideal storm unit! Powered by a Briggs & Stratton 1450 Series™ OHV engine for long life, high performance and great fuel efficiency. A Power Surge™ alternator produces up to 50% surge wattage for all your home back-up power needs during a storm.

Key Features:

5500 running watts/8250 starting watts
Up to 10 hours run time at 50% load

Features
Power Surge™ Alternator

Produces up to 50% more surge wattage to start multiple motor-driven tools or appliances simultaneously.

5 Gallon Metal Fuel Tank

Provides up to 10 hour run time @ 50% load.

Multi-Featured Control Panel

4 - 120V Household Outlets 1 - 120/240V, 30A Locking Outlet Rubber Outlet Covers & Hour Meter.

10" Never Go Flat Wheels for easy mobility
3nd3oa3l65O45Y05Z2b1kb2e889fee022113b.jpg

That will certainly do the trick Jax :thumb: It will be loud but, to get quiet, you have to pay. It will also be heavy. The nice thing about that badboy is that you can also use it around the house if need be. Just change out the oil, keep a couple of spark plugs handy and you'll be golden. You should also check to see what Costco is offering - they sell Champion (chinese) for a real good price - you can get one brand new for around that price. Also - the cords for these units are not cheap :prof: Something to think about.

I stand corrected, looks like we do, I have never seen it tho, it is one the opposite side of town from me and it looks like it is new. I don't go out that way very often, that is where the Richy Rich lives :lol: I am white trash so they don't let us go out that way.

I stand corrected, looks like we do, I have never seen it tho, it is one the opposite side of town from me and it looks like it is new. I don't go out that way very often, that is where the Richy Rich lives :lol: I am white trash so they don't let us go out that way.

Don't let that discourage you Jax - Costco welcomes all trash.........:prof: