What size Genny

Hey Jax,
This is the one I'm getting...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/genera...eg-3500-w-portable-gasoline-generator-4434023
I like the remote start one too that you posted :thumb: and I think they make one just slightly smaller which is good. Aakmetz has one and he says he runs his whole house on it just about A/C heat tv computer lights fridge etc, says it starts 1st pull every time.... You do have to watch the "no Noise" policy at MX tracks. but I saw a guy with this generator and he rigged up a nice exhaust stem so it sounded like a box fan running on low... very nice. He used a welding tip from an acetylene torch for the final cone...:thumb:

Excellent and informative link:prof: :lol:

Hey Jax,
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...avTitle=Brakes&webCatId=15&prodFamilyId=19498
I like the remote start one too that you posted :thumb: and I think they make one just slightly smaller which is good. Aakmetz has one and he says he runs his whole house on it just about A/C heat tv computer lights fridge etc, says it starts 1st pull every time.... You do have to watch the "no Noise" policy at MX tracks. but I saw a guy with this generator and he rigged up a nice exhaust stem so it sounded like a box fan running on low... very nice. He used a welding tip from an acetylene torch for the final cone...:thumb:

I have been thinking about the noise issue, I was thinking of taking some plywood and 1'' blue insulator and cutting the plywood and glue the insulator to the plywood to fit around 3 sides and top leaving one side exposed for venting and cooling. Pointing the open side away from people so that should help, I would also only put the box together when camping. Have it made as a quick put up and take down. It would store nicely in the back of my camper.

I have been thinking about the noise issue, I was thinking of taking some plywood and 1'' blue insulator and cutting the plywood and glue the insulator to the plywood to fit around 3 sides and top leaving one side exposed for venting and cooling. Pointing the open side away from people so that should help, I would also only put the box together when camping. Have it made as a quit put up and take down. It would store nicely in the back of my camper.

Sounds good Jax - I would be a little concerned about venting issues and overheating. Be careful, it's a jungle out there.

Hey Jax,
http://www.tractorsupply.com/genera...eg-3500-w-portable-gasoline-generator-4434023
:shocked: That thing weighs 110lbs. Have fun moving that around. I have an Onan 5.5k in the trailer. Runs both my AC units and turns the trailer into an icebox.

:shocked: That thing weighs 110lbs. Have fun moving that around. I have an Onan 5.5k in the trailer. Runs both my AC units and turns the trailer into an icebox.

It does weigh in kinda heavy.... thats why I may go with the one size smaller thats about 75lbs... I just can't seem to lay aout the big$$$$ for the yammi or honda whisper quiets....
2000-2200 will run my trailer ac, fridge, flatscreen and micro.

Sounds good Jax - I would be a little concerned about venting issues and overheating. Be careful, it's a jungle out there.

If you build a box, do what I did: Buy a small high cfm ventilation fan and integrate it into the box so it always runs when the genny runs. It cools the unit and provides ventilation and O2. Then again, my situation in a cabin isn't like yours with a need to move it all the time.

If you build a box, do what I did: Buy a small high cfm ventilation fan and integrate it into the box so it always runs when the genny runs. It cools the unit and provides ventilation and O2. Then again, my situation in a cabin isn't like yours with a need to move it all the time.

yeah I thought about that too buck,,, plug the small high RPM fan right into the genny itself. my box with have to be a quick up and down box so that i can stow and go. I thought about this more today after the Egde comment and thought about three sides and and top and only open on one side with a slight mod... open the bottom about a foot up on the end opposite of the open end and the top only covering half the top. This should still deflect quite a bit of sound and give plenty of ventilation.

Here is another thing to think about: Get a 10" diameter flue pipe, 3 foot long, and line it with fiberglass insulation, with chicken wire making an effective silencer for your genny! It silences any contractor grade generator! PM me if you want to know more about this!

if you get a cheap one that is not a name brand like Honda, Yamaha, Onan, dont park by me. It will be too loud and obnoxious and I will hate you for it. So many rude people with their cheap gens making lots of noise.

Thats the way I have felt a few times in the past and had to go tell the idiots to put it on the side away from everyone so it is at least a little better.

if you get a cheap one that is not a name brand like Honda, Yamaha, Onan, dont park by me. It will be too loud and obnoxious and I will hate you for it. So many rude people with their cheap gens making lots of noise.

Thats the way I have felt a few times in the past and had to go tell the idiots to put it on the side away from everyone so it is at least a little better.

Well, for one,,I don't think I will be ever camping in Communistfornia and two not everyone has $1200 to drop on a genny. I don't think I would park my genny right next to your's or anyones camper for that matter. I understand the whole respect everyones space thing. I try to camp as far away from everyone possible.

Your Cheap Genny is getting complicated Jax :prof:..... Get what you can afford with a reasonable decibal level... I don't think 63db is unreasonable that the Champion puts out and like I said there is that whole quiet pipe you can get for it.

what do you yall think about one like this, is this over kill?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/2171043625.html

No such thing as too big. That's perfect. If you'd go with a 3500 or lower it would likely be cutting it close and remember, running at half load is less wear on an engine than running at 75%+. Also, if you don't have a genny with large enough spike(bigger the rated running watts the larger the spike) then you can mess up your AC when it kicks on.