Other Vin help

I've never bought parts using any VIN number or motor ID number. Year, make, and model are all that should be needed. I just looked up a piston for a kd80. From 1980 to 1985 is the same part number.
As far as being on the fence with the site, well, that's understandable. It's a quirky place with a core group of oddballs. One either feels comfortable here, or they leave. :ride:

And that is why we are still here (maybe in and out) after all these years. :wave: :rocker:

I'm on the fence about you, too. Not alot about this shows you have mechanical knowledge.
Engine numbers are irrelevant, nobody is asking you for engine numbers.

In the real world
You measure a removed piston and cylinder to see what size they currently have installed.
Then you see if there is a reason to bore, hone, or replate.
If so, you purchase the appropriately sized piston based on the measurements taken, or OEM and send off for a re-plate/bore job. you only need a year make and model.
once all the new components are there, you measure them again and see that the clearances are correct per the manual.
So tell me again.
How was the 1985 piston "wrong?"
Were you even going to consider the wrist pin bearing?
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Mechanics 101, Did lovesick change his name and reappear? :smirk:

OP only wanted to know the year of his bike from the vin! :smirk:

But starts off with an engine number. :picard:

I just want to see pics of this fabulous time machine. :drool:

And I just want to see Nurse Lisa again. :drool::drool::drool:

So, OP got his answer, and is gone like a fart in the wind. :rifle:

And that is why we are still here (maybe in and out) after all these years. :wave: :rocker:

I'm not gone just waiting for some more of your comments.turns out the motor is to a 78.the bike is a 85.and the piston didn't match up because the bike shop I visited didn't even care to help.turns out most shop I have visited are rude assholes.kinda like most on this sight.i do want to thank you and those that have truely tryed to help.thank you,God bless and happy holidays to you and your family.

Thank you but not everybody can build or rebuild a bike.i come to this sight for anseres and help,not get put down by assholes trying to be smart.with all the hate and other issues in this world is it so hard to be curtious and helpful,or does it better you self-esteem to bash those that are learning.im sorry your a bunch of big bad bikers that like making others feel bad.probley the same ones that harras the handicap or beat your wife.no your type are reason this world is going to shit.thank you again to the guy that actually tryed to give me help and knowledge.god bless you and thank you.

Yes,I'm on my dad's sight and I'm 17.just 1time on this sight and I have to say that I am ashamed at those that think they have to bash or belittle people because of there knowledge of bikes.i thought I could get some answers about my kd80dirt.i got 2 guys actually willing to help the others just talk trash.im sorry I never built a real bike(only mini's)or that I expected what I thought was fellow biker help.forgive me for sinning.i will find another group of biker addicts to help.good thing you don't pay for this sight.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sorry, we don't offer safe spaces here.
We indeed have provided the answers you need, though your "gimmie" attitude resounds. This webSITE owes you nothing, especially a place to store photos for free.
If you respond with a single measurement you have taken, you might be taken seriously. Until then, my answers to how to find the piston you need will remain the best thing in this thread.
-BIG DAN

SRAD97750

Staff member
To be honest, we only have interest in helping others who come here, but your initial approach is imperative. You'll learn how important that is in life.

When you say "blown piston," does that mean the piston rings are out of spec and the compression is low?
Or is the piston worn as well and caused some cylinder scratching?

The measurements of the installed piston/cylinder are important because there are 4 different pistons available in .50mm increments, 3 of which are oversized. This cylinder could already be an oversize, which means the new piston, even if you don't have the need to bore/hone could need to be oversize.

Get back to me, and we'll set you up with not only the knowledge, but probably links to the cheapest option available. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Why should you go threw all the hassel of fixing a free motorcycle?
And if you think the world is going to shit that’s your opinion.
Perhaps you may refocus your efforts

@SRAD97750

Can you just "delete" the whole thread like it never even happened? :devil:

Think that would be best.. :blah:

Like looking at the "what are you listening to" thread and reminded of the first ban ever. :D

OP, how does the mouth spew poison, and bless in the same breath?:noidea: :loco:

Happy Holiday?? WTHeck, Merry Christmas is December. Happy Holiday is what the Brits do on good vacation, it becomes a happy holiday.

So who was the asshole anyway?

Last edited:
I'm not gone just waiting for some more of your comments.turns out the motor is to a 78.the bike is a 85.and the piston didn't match up because the bike shop I visited didn't even care to help.turns out most shop I have visited are rude assholes.kinda like most on this sight.i do want to thank you and those that have truely tryed to help.thank you,God bless and happy holidays to you and your family.

Oh I get it. The bike shop upset you, so you came back here to vent your frustration of having a frankinbike. Bummer, deal with it and grow some thicker skin. At 17, you should be able to asses the situation and come to a conclusion that you need to do the best.

Carry on, I'll come back in a while and check in.

@SRAD97750

Can you just "delete" the whole thread like it never even happened? :devil:

Think that would be best.. :blah:

Like looking at the "what are you listening to" thread and reminded of the first ban ever. :D

OP, how does the mouth spew poison, and bless in the same breath?:noidea: :loco:

Happy Holiday?? WTHeck, Merry Christmas is December. Happy Holiday is what the Brits do on good vacation, it becomes a happy holiday.

It's real funny that you grown men take pleasure in bashing a kid.i think he proved his point.a bunch of grown as bullies.what makes you so great.my son is a straight a student,he works everyday,goes to church,never asks for anything.while his friends are out doing kid things my son works.he is not a gimmi kid.i am a very strick parent.i make him do things himself and and look for answers.he gets on here and just gets slammed by assholes that like belittling kids.instead of having his face in videagames he works.as for a free bike comment,why not.its in great shape and just needed a piston.why wouldn't you except a free bike.just to let you load mouths know.the bike is running.no help from you.he did it using a book.again this sight is open to anybody.if you wanted it to be a private bashing,pissing contest between rude adults you may think about removing the sight or putting a age block on it.how would you feel if I slammed and insulted your kid online.its real easy to hide behind a screen.

Oh dear you don’t absorb information well either. My “free bike” comment was aimed more towards the fact that the efforts of resizing and posting a picture (to perhaps aid in repairing said free bike) was too much hassle. A picture would not have helped I’m sure, but the comment of the “sight” being somehow inferior and the standing in judgement of “being on the fence” about it stands to reason that he was not sufficiently handed his requested information expediently. Either way it’s been a little slow around here lately so thanks for that, and we treat everyone equally here regardless of age. We bash everyone who acts entitled and ignores advice.

@SRAD97750

I'm the Asshole, don't you remember?

It's real funny that you grown men take pleasure in bashing a kid.i think he proved his point.a bunch of grown as bullies.what makes you so great.my son is a straight a student,he works everyday,goes to church,never asks for anything.while his friends are out doing kid things my son works.he is not a gimmi kid.i am a very strick parent.i make him do things himself and and look for answers.he gets on here and just gets slammed by assholes that like belittling kids.instead of having his face in videagames he works.as for a free bike comment,why not.its in great shape and just needed a piston.why wouldn't you except a free bike.just to let you load mouths know.the bike is running.no help from you.he did it using a book.again this sight is open to anybody.if you wanted it to be a private bashing,pissing contest between rude adults you may think about removing the sight or putting a age block on it.how would you feel if I slammed and insulted your kid online.its real easy to hide behind a screen.

Like I said, get off the fence and GTFO. I went back and read the whole thread, and nobody was a dick, until OP started. He was given solid info, upon which he lashed out. :wave: GTFO=Get the fauck out

The kids’ not too sharp I think he went to make a Great Tasting French Omelette instead.
Oh and There is no fucking way a straight a student has such an incredible diregard for grammar and punctuation.