Other Vin help

I was given a Kawasaki kd80dirt bike with a blown piston.last owner had no idea what year it is.can anybody tell me what year these motor numbers match kd080me020640.what I'm getting is a 75-84yr.bike shop has told me it's somewhere before 81because they only go back to 81and the numbers are not coming up.anybody know????

Tenth digit is the year. They never used a 0 or an O so you have you numbers off.

"A" would be 80 and then up to "H", as "I" was not used, but "1" was in 200"1", then is was numbers up to 200"9", and then back to letters again.

Last edited:
Those are the right numbers.i can send a picture of the VIN on the motor.it does have a 0 or o in the VIN.i can show the bike,motor and Vin.

Tryed posting pictures and it kicks me off.anyway the frame Vin is JKAKDWM17EA020664.the motor Vin is KD080ME020640.i hope that helps.thank you
The server sucks ass so you have to resize your pics to a micron to post them :banghead::picard:
@PALMER84ONE withougt me having to enrich Mr Gates which year is E?:noidea:
:lol: wow I missed the 1985 :snore:
End of a very long day :cripple:

Last edited:
Tryed posting pictures and it kicks me off.anyway the frame Vin is JKAKDWM17EA020664.the motor Vin is KD080ME020640.i hope that helps.thank you[/QUO
So the numbers are out by 24, obviously factory but kinda wondering was it 24 bad engines or frames or both???

Ok,let forget about the frame vin.you can't buy parts based on the frame Vin all the time.if that was the case I would already have a piston and top end kit.again my problem is the motor vin.when I try to order parts and they ask for motor Vin I get shoveled into a hole of I don't knows and allot of the numbers don't match or come up.i already bought a piston thinking I was getting it for a 85 bike but it was wrong.so again I sit here wondering what year the motor is.as for the picture part of the sight,it sucks.why should I go threw all the Hassel of getting a app to down size when this sight should have been developed to handle picture uploads.sofar I'm on the fence with this sight.thank you

Ok,let forget about the frame vin.you can't buy parts based on the frame Vin all the time.if that was the case I would already have a piston and top end kit.again my problem is the motor vin.when I try to order parts and they ask for motor Vin I get shoveled into a hole of I don't knows and allot of the numbers don't match or come up.i already bought a piston thinking I was getting it for a 85 bike but it was wrong.so again I sit here wondering what year the motor is.as for the picture part of the sight,it sucks.why should I go threw all the Hassel of getting a app to down size when this sight should have been developed to handle picture uploads.sofar I'm on the fence with this sight.thank you
I've never bought parts using any VIN number or motor ID number. Year, make, and model are all that should be needed. I just looked up a piston for a kd80. From 1980 to 1985 is the same part number.
As far as being on the fence with the site, well, that's understandable. It's a quirky place with a core group of oddballs. One either feels comfortable here, or they leave. :ride:

SRAD97750

Staff member
I'm on the fence about you, too. Not alot about this shows you have mechanical knowledge.
Engine numbers are irrelevant, nobody is asking you for engine numbers.

In the real world
You measure a removed piston and cylinder to see what size they currently have installed.
Then you see if there is a reason to bore, hone, or replate.
If so, you purchase the appropriately sized piston based on the measurements taken, or OEM and send off for a re-plate/bore job. you only need a year make and model.
once all the new components are there, you measure them again and see that the clearances are correct per the manual.
So tell me again.
How was the 1985 piston "wrong?"
Were you even going to consider the wrist pin bearing?
-BIG DAN:thumb: