Toy Hauler Buyers Tips?

Man work is hell and I miss out on these threads. I'm also thinking about a shelter on wheels.

Travace the tow rating on trucks varies quite a bit depending on engine and a little depending on the other options? What is your truck exactly? Take a look at your owners manual to find the exact ratings. I wouldn't plan on towing right up to the limit and don't underestimate added weight like bikes and stuff in the truck. If you take people my size don't forget to add them to the total.

Oh, one other thing. You can always rent one that is about what you are planning to buy and try it out for a weekend before buying.

I'll pretty much be looking for a different truck because mine is only rated at 3300 pounds by ford due to the manual transmission. Same truck with an auto is rated at 6k, go figure.

im rated at like 11k cause i have the 5.4L supercab and the tow package so i think a 7k rated trailer should be fine.
You still need to check a few things. Unless you asked for it when you bought it you may not be 11k. Most come with a 3.55 rear axle. Look at the sticker on the door if it's axle code 19 then you have a 3.55. Depending on the year and the wheelbase you could be as low as 8600 pounds. Check those details.

Just remember that the average family has 2000 lbs. of stuff in it with family.

Don't forget that many trailer manufacturers are optimistic on the dry weight. I would try to get a trailer whose dry weight is 2500 or even 3000 pounds under your max. That should give plenty of buffer for stuff.

yea it is H9 which i googled and says that it is the 3.55ls so according to my manual looking at the 5.4l supercab 4x4 maximum GCWR us 15,400 lbs with a maximum trailer weight of 9700 lb

yea it is H9 which i googled and says that it is the 3.55ls so according to my manual looking at the 5.4l supercab 4x4 maximum GCWR us 15,400 lbs with a maximum trailer weight of 9700 lb

You will have plenty of options.

Want to try this one?

Just don't fill it up with water, bikes, gear, food...........

:smirk:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332602830.065381.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332602830.065381.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332602866.411178.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332602866.411178.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 21
would be looking for a new truck for that one rack hehe. what is that anyway 28ft ? if so id also be looking for a place to store the thing as well :cry:

my parents were paying 70 dollars a month to store our camper :cry:

I know a lot of people here in SoCal that would be so happy if storing their rig only cost $70 a month. It can be a lot more than that here.

Travace, if you have to pay to store it run the numbers and see what the total life time cost is going to be. The critical number is how many days per year will you actually use it. You may find that renting one when you need it could save a lot. If it's 10 days a year the numbers say rent, if it's 50 then the result goes to buy. It's something to think about when you will be spending between 1k and 2k per year just to store the thing.

nice thats pretty ,uch my price range right there. i hadnt seen teh carson in el cajon yet. there is a few in el cajon i can go look at later this week :thumb: