Toy Hauler Buyers Tips?

i am currently in the market for a Toy Hauler that has beds bathroom and kitchen. I know a lot of you are experienced RV owners and i would love to hear some tips or hints on things i should look out for. I am not purchasing new so what should i be checking for when im looking? whats the common problems you guys have encountered.... any advice is greatly appreciated.

The first question is are you pulling this with your F150? If so, you can only go so big for the weight is a factor. Also I take it you will be going tow behind and not 5th wheel unless you are upgrading the truck. Buying used is like anything else. How well did the owner take care of the trailer? Does it have new/good tires (trailers tires may look good, but they need replacing every 4 - 5 seasons). Service history on generator (if you look at trailers with them), make sure it starts and runs everything. Check fuel station to see if it works and check hoses if possible. A new fuel station motor can cost from $350 - $650 depending on if you replace it yourself or have it done. Have them turn everything on, A/C, Fridge, Micro, Heater, water pump, Run water at all locations, Outside shower, etc. Check wheels to make sure they have been maintenance like the bearing greased.

I'm sure there are a few other things to think of, but that is a start.

thanks CDA all great tips.... and yea pulling with the F150 so that is one limitation... the other is my driveway... i only have 25ft so im looking at 19 to 23fters. no 5th wheelers which is a bummer cause they seem to be cheaper for what you get.

thanks CDA all great tips.... and yea pulling with the F150 so that is one limitation... the other is my driveway... i only have 25ft so im looking at 19 to 23fters. no 5th wheelers which is a bummer cause they seem to be cheaper for what you get.
Those are good sizes. My first trailer was a 24' Ragen tow behind and I had it hooked up to my 1500. It towed it well, jut a little slow up some grades from a dead stop. We packed a lot of stuff in that trailer. It had a bed over the back door, the dinette and couch broke down into beds, so my family of 5 had no problem all sleeping in there. I even had my buddy on the floor by the back door sleeping sometimes. You do not have any quads, you will have plenty of room for your bikes and stuff.

Oh if the back bed is electric, make sure it goes up and down smoothly. If it is manual, then check all the hardware that makes it go up and down making sure nothing is worn out.

Check the roof before sealing a deal and make sure it's up to par. Be aware of wood frame trailers, our camping buddies was just totaled due to rot damage to the front corners. We had a camper flood and infest with ants and the dealer took it as a trade knowing what had happened to it. I don't think I'd ever buy used from them :shocked:

Do you need a toyhauler, or can you carry the bikes in the bed of your truck? Regular used trailers are super cheap these days, only drawback is most don't have a generator, but if you can buy a trailer for a couple of grand, and a good generator, you would still be ahead money wise.

I have a connection at Carson Trailers. They have some inventory that is new but a year or two old. You may be able to strike a deal. Go to their website and see if they have a model you like.

i am currently in the market for a Toy Hauler that has beds bathroom and kitchen. I know a lot of you are experienced RV owners and i would love to hear some tips or hints on things i should look out for. I am not purchasing new so what should i be checking for when im looking? whats the common problems you guys have encountered.... any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sun rot - check the following...
*The awning, have them open it all the way
*Any plastic on the outside especially the vents on the roof, handles, etc.
*Any hoses (propane) that are open to sunlight, have them turn it on and smell for leaks
*Tire walls for small cracks around entire tire, may seem small BUT they get bigger when warmed up
Other stuff - check the following
*Water tank, have them put water in it and check for leaks on the outside
*Water pump, have them turn it on and run somoe water. We had a leak down by the connections...not sure what caused it but the plastic connections were a little loose...tightened them up and all was ok.
*Fuel station pump, have them run it to make sure it works and that there's no rust in the tank from old fuel.
*Bunk bed straps, check for broken straps...ours broke after a couple years
*Generator (where applicable), have them start it up and check the hours meter. No idea how many is too many I figure anything in the mid 100's it's been used a lot. then again, I rarily use mine.
*Monitor board (sensor lights), make sure they all work...my dog chewed my wires so I have no idea what the levels are.
*Outside lights...running lights, etc. AND optional lighting on ALL sides
*Flooring, check around for cracks especially around the tie-down locations.
*Check the roof...soem have a "rubber roof"...make sure it is somewhat clean which means they've taken care of it...if not, it'll crak allowing moisture underneath and aroudn the vents and other mounted items.

This is some of the stuff I've experienced problems with.

Good luck

The first question is are you pulling this with your F150? If so, you can only go so big for the weight is a factor. Also I take it you will be going tow behind and not 5th wheel unless you are upgrading the truck. Buying used is like anything else. How well did the owner take care of the trailer? Does it have new/good tires (trailers tires may look good, but they need replacing every 4 - 5 seasons). Service history on generator (if you look at trailers with them), make sure it starts and runs everything. Check fuel station to see if it works and check hoses if possible. A new fuel station motor can cost from $350 - $650 depending on if you replace it yourself or have it done. Have them turn everything on, A/C, Fridge, Micro, Heater, water pump, Run water at all locations, Outside shower, etc. Check wheels to make sure they have been maintenance like the bearing greased.

I'm sure there are a few other things to think of, but that is a start.

Combine CDA's with what I wrote, some are the same and a few add ons... The truck is a huge factor. Some only consider the power plant the only important thing when the suspension, breaks AND hubs are also important. There are reasons for 3/4 trucks to have heavy duty springs, bigger breaks, and 8 lugs rather than 5/6.

Trav, my friend still has his 19 foot Ragen that is fully loaded. I sent you a PM regarding this if you recall. His even has the generator which is a nice feature that a lot of trailers this size do not come with. :noidea:

Trav, my friend still has his 19 foot Ragen that is fully loaded. I sent you a PM regarding this if you recall. His even has the generator which is a nice feature that a lot of trailers this size do not come with. :noidea:
where is it and what is he asking?