The MX Track - How was your day today?

My son at 17 was faster than me, but he
has ME to thank for that!
I didn’t get a dirt bike when I was 4 my parents thought they were dangerous.
I had a firm grasp on my own mortality before I ever got on a motocross track.
Our kids have it made , never had anything like that ... I had a tonka big rig wrecker .. That was cool , grandson had a bad ass go cart at 4 , started 2 wheelin at 5 , now 11 , has SUZUKI JR 80 CRF 100 F , TTR 125 EL , HONDA REBEL 250 ...... Lucky little bastard .... LOL ......
I was on a bike riding the gas tank with my dad from day one. He taught me how to ride his 360 Yamaha when I was 4. He would get me going, put the bike in 3rd gear and jump off the back. I'd circle the camp yelling for him when done and he would run along side of me and grab the clutch and stop me. Got my first bike when I was 5 though my sister and I had to share it for a couple years.

My son learned to ride and had his first bike when he was 3 - as soon as he could ride his bicycle without training wheels. We rode all the time, he is a good technical rider, but not a flat out across the dez rider. Nothing wrong with that. He is 30 and still can't keep up with this old man....

My kids can't keep up with me , but I can't keep up with the grandson .......
Yeah, my grandkids are only 7, 1 and 4 months so I have time. Plus my 7 yr old is in another state and hasn't ridden in a couple years now. Shows no interest either and we will see about the 1 yr old, he is only 2 miles away from me.

I think I can firmly say that after the day at the track today, my son cannot catch me. I brought my A game.
It's nice to see improvement. And I can clear the big step-up now nearly every time.
Now, if I could only get over my fear of crashing, I'm sure I have the speed to get over 2 out of 3 step-downs.
And I'm getting close to trying the roller section up front, but I'm not so sure about my corner exit speed, and I'm really afraid of casing it and getting bounced over the bars again, although my cornering has gotten much better.
Which leads me to a question-
How long did it take y'all to really learn to shift your weight and throw your handlebars to the ground in corners?
I'm 3-4 years into MX and I'm just starting to get it.

Last edited:
I think I can firmly say that after the day at the track today, my son cannot catch me. I brought my A game.
It's nice to see improvement. And I can clear the big step-up now nearly every time.
Now, if I could only get over my fear of crashing, I'm sure I have the speed to get over 2 out of 3 step-downs.
And I'm getting close to trying the roller section up front, but I'm not so sure about my corner exit speed, and I'm really afraid of casing it and getting bounced over the bars again, although my cornering has gotten much better.
Which leads me to a question-
How long did it take y'all to really learn to shift your weight and throw your handlebars to the ground in corners?
I'm 3-4 years into MX and I'm just starting to get it.

I don’t know how long it took. I started young and it felt natural to ride a bike. As a kid I rode almost every day so I think intuitively I remembered what worked and what didn’t. You’re young so the brain remembers more because it’s in the growing and learning process is more efficient. When you’re older you’re more stubborn. Just a thought. Now time for A snack.
8CE19FBB-A9E8-43AB-BBD0-D02B46D92032.jpeg

It’s a work in progress. Kind of like playing guitar, you’re never as good as you will be, and you’re never as good as you want to be. Unfortunately with MX the stakes are higher :cripple:
You got one thing together though it’s all in the corners. The size of the jump isn’t as important as how close it is to the exit. Some of my favorite jumps are small 30’ tables straight of turns where you have to be squared up. I been doing Mx off and on since ‘05 but mostly woods racing/riding.

:lol: Same here.

Yo Trfsrfr - your track is still open?
Yep. I went today.
Unfortunately I did not bring my A game.
I did however bring my YZ250 (Thanks to @PALMER84ONE !) and I'm still not good enough for that thing.
After spending the last 16 hours on the KX she just feels different. Bars are different, frame geometry...and stupid fast.
Gotta watch out for Mr. Jack Daniels on the landings.

Yep. I went today.
Unfortunately I did not bring my A game.
I did however bring my YZ250 (Thanks to @PALMER84ONE !) and I'm still not good enough for that thing.
After spending the last 16 hours on the KX she just feels different. Bars are different, frame geometry...and stupid fast.
Gotta watch out for Mr. Jack Daniels on the landings.
Nice that the tracks are still open, just be careful a not end up in the hospital. Wouldn't want to get exposed...Also you pulled the trigger on one of Palmer's YZ's? Sweet

Keep practicing , maybe someday you will catch on .... going from bike to bike is probably not helping ......
I agree, swapping back and forth between bikes on the track is not going to get you progressing. I jump between bikes, but I ride desert do I have tons of miles to get adjusted.

I have a lot of bikes , so I'm changing daily , sometimes several daily , and test rode all bikes at shop when new and repaired bikes . Jusy seems natural to me ...