The MX Track - How was your day today?

A thread for MX track enthusiasts to check-in, and unload...

Motoland - Casa Grande, AZ.
I'll start it off by saying that, as much as I'd like to think (since I've been riding nearly 40 years (but just an MX track in the last 3-4) that I'm faster and better than my Son (who's only been riding for 3-4 years (he's 13) that I couldn't catch him today.
He's got a YZ125, I'm on a YZ250 with WAY more experience than him, and tried as much as I did today, I couldn't catch him and his buddy Gus (also 13).

The only place I catch him, is in the jumps. Other than that he walks on me.
Maybe its time for another smaller rear sprocket :noidea:

Very happy to see him progressing though for sure! I just thought it would take a little longer for him to get around me :cry:

A thread for MX track enthusiasts to check-in, and unload...

Motoland - Casa Grande, AZ.
I'll start it off by saying that, as much as I'd like to think (since I've been riding nearly 40 years (but just an MX track in the last 3-4) that I'm faster and better than my Son (who's only been riding for 3-4 years (he's 13) that I couldn't catch him today.
He's got a YZ125, I'm on a YZ250 with WAY more experience than him, and tried as much as I did today, I couldn't catch him and his buddy Gus (also 13).

The only place I catch him, is in the jumps. Other than that he walks on me.
Maybe its time for another smaller rear sprocket :noidea:

Very happy to see him progressing though for sure! I just thought it would take a little longer for him to get around me :cry:

Let him go dad. There comes a time when your kid just keeps going but you have work Monday and that trips the switch. My son was 14 when I realized he was gaining and I was losing.

Let him go dad. There comes a time when your kid just keeps going but you have work Monday and that trips the switch. My son was 14 when I realized he was gaining and I was losing.
Yep. Totally expected.
Who else has an awesome MX story to tell?

Can't keep Joe behind me unless I keep roosting on him, but then he will pick another line, and zoom!!! Tom on the other hand, we have not ridden together in years, so I don't know. It's not work on monday that keeps my wheels on the ground, it's the expensive O'nigga care that I can't afford.

Holy ruts Batman!
They just added a few tons of sand a few weeks ago and its getting churned in nicely. I was told that ours is the only track in the area that gets rutted (not sure why) and because of that more people are showing up. I've never seen the place so busy, with so many ruts, and with so many ridiculous fast riders.

Got to the track with the 06 YZ250 today and spent the first hour getting used to it. The front end kept wanting to wash out, but I was the first one there and the track was still wet and slippery. I'm sure it was me cuz after the track started drying out I was finding my groove.
And it was all going so good until...
20190316_122328.jpg 20190316_122402.jpg 20190316_135658.jpg

Got to the track with the 06 YZ250 today and spent the first hour getting used to it. The front end kept wanting to wash out, but I was the first one there and the track was still wet and slippery. I'm sure it was me cuz after the track started drying out I was finding my groove.
And it was all going so good until...
View attachment 32380 View attachment 32381 View attachment 32382

Tire pressure and forks are too hard.
Wtf did you do?

Tire pressure and forks are too hard.
Wtf did you do?
Front tire was at 11.5, back at 12.5. But got the new rear spring installed and sag set, forks felt AMAZING compared to the 99. Not sure they're set right, but no bottoming at all. They felt solid.
Was working on a smaller rhythm section and I'm not sure what happened. I found that one of the fork mount bolts was loose after I got it back to the truck when I put them back in position (they were on top of the tank). So not really sure what happened, all I know is I whiskied it before I got off the back of the bike. Not sure if I had a hard landing and the forks went to the tank first and they broke cuz of the landing, or after it hit the ground, but it was one of my more graceful exits :thumb:.
Definitely a learning lesson fosho. Next time I'll be checking the fork mount bolts first! (I checked everything else beforehand).
I'm a little sore and bruised, but no major pain, except for my pride.

Last edited:
Front tire was at 11.5, back at 12.5. But got the new rear spring installed and sag set, forks felt AMAZING compared to the 99. Not sure they're set right, but no bottoming at all. They felt solid.
Was working on a smaller rhythm section and I'm not sure what happened. I found that one of the fork mount bolts was loose after I got it back to the truck when I put them back in position (they were on top of the tank). So not really sure what happened, all I know is I whiskied it before I got off the back of the bike. Not sure if I had a hard landing and the forks went to the tank first and they broke cuz of the landing, or after it hit the ground, but it was one of my more graceful exits :thumb:.
Definitely a learning lesson fosho. Next time I'll be checking the fork mount bolts first! (I checked everything else beforehand).
I'm a little sore and bruised, but no major pain, except for my pride.

That’s a little on the hard side. The forks may not be bottoming but make sure they are using the entire stroke of the fork if they aren’t then the springs are too hard for your talent level. Glad to hear that only your pride was busted.

Last edited:
Gotta love ASV levers! :thumb:
I do. They just sent me a new spring kit for the KX, no charge, and was here in 2 days.
The forks may not be bottoming but make sure they are using the entire stroke of the fork if they aren’t then the springs are too hard for your talent level.

So the 06 YZ previous owner was about 160 lbs and I'm assuming the fork springs are stock. I did put in the new 5.4 shock spring as mentioned and I have a new set of .46 fork springs coming.
Is it recommended that the spring set be matched to my weight as per the Racetech calculator, or should I return them and stay with whats currently installed?

Last edited: